• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, ‘Women’s Club fundraiser at Pepe’s Mexican Restaurant, 260 E. 84th Drive, Merrillville, from Sept. 26 thru Oct. 2, 2016. Ask for a coupon at Pepe’s while dining, and 15 percent of the bill will be donated to the club.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Annual Craft Fair & Bake Sale’ on Nov. 12-13 and 19-20 in parish hall. Call 980-5155 for vendor information.
• Society of St. Vincent de Paul District Council of Gary, Inc., ‘Ninth annual Friends of the Poor Walk.’ Register at 9 a.m., walk starts at 10 at: Lemon Lake County Park Pavilion 2, 6322 W. 133rd Ave., Crown Point, call Diane at 845-7531; Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, 400 W. 100 North, Valparaiso, call Pam at 241-0973; or Wythogan Park, 301 Wythogan Park, Knox, call Linda at (574) 806-0001 or Mary at (574) 806-2740.
• St. Edward, Lowell, ‘Tamale Sale’ fundraiser for Our Lady of Guadalupe. Order after Masses on Sept. 17 and pick up hot and ready Sept. 24.
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Food Pantry Benefit Concert’ with smooth jazz, blues, pop and light rock music by Jim Markiewicz and Smooth Groove, wine tasting, hors d’oeuvres and dessert, 4-7 p.m. in Casa Maria Banquet Hall. Cash bar. Call 865-5482 for tickets.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Fall Craft & Vendor Fair’ from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Parish Center. Vendors sought. 942-6441.
• Holy Spirit, Winfield, ‘Put the Nuns in Charge!’ one-woman comedy sponsored by Society of St. Vincent de Paul to benefit food pantry and other programs, 6:30 p.m. with finger foods, cash bar and raffle. 661-0644
St. Edward, Lowell, ‘Right to Life Rose Sale’ with the help of the Daughters of Isabella, after all weekend Masses, to benefit Lake County Right to Life. 696-7307
LaPorte County Right to Life, LaPorte, ‘Fall Banquet Gala’ with abortion survivor Gianna Jessen as guest speaker, 5-6 p.m. social hour with Bishop Donald J. Hying and silent auction. RSVP to Sheryll Werner at 861-9037.
Nov. 5 and 6
St. Thomas More, Munster, ‘31st annual Holiday Bazaar and Art & Craft Fair’ sponsored by the Altar & Rosary Society. Crafters wanted. Call 836-5079 for vendor application.
Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Tripsters on the Move’ to Four Winds Casino; also Dec. 3 holiday shopping trip to a One of a Kind Vendor Market at Merchandise Mart. Call Marge at 838-1458.
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Senior citizens group outing’ to “Singing in the Rain” at Marriott Theatre in Deerfield. Call Ceil Dahlen at 662-2236 or Doris Ban at 942-6211. Seating limited to paid reservations.
FOOD & FESTIVAL
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Fall Fish Fry,’ 4-7 p.m. first Friday of the month, Sept. 2 to Dec. 2, in Casa Maria Banquet Hall. Adult dinners with fried or baked white fish and child dinners offer chicken nuggets and mac and cheese; 5 and younger eat free. 865-5482
• Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary, ‘Fall Festival Farmers Market’ presented by Catholic Charities, Diocese of Gary and Habitat for Humanity of NWI, 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 10 and 24, Oct. 8 and 22. Fresh produce, free coffee, and food and craft vendors. To volunteer, call 886-3549.
• St. Andrew, Merrillville, ‘All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast with pancakes and sausage, 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 9 and 23, in Ameling Hall. Children 6 and younger eat free.
St. Edward, Lowell, ‘Spaghetti Dinner’ in honor of 58th anniversary of the dedication of the church, sponsored by Altar & Rosary Society, 4-7 p.m. 696-7307
Sept. 30-Oct. 1
St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Rummage, Baked Goods and Pierogi Sale.’ Drop off donations Sept. 28 and 29. Call Pat at 922-1961 or Jan at 922-6469.
St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Michigan City, ‘Annual Chicken Dinner and Raffle,’ noon at Elks Lodge 432, 416 U.S. 20. Handicapped accessible. Adult and children prices. Reservations advised by Sept. 23 at 878-1835 or 871-2725.
Oct. 9 and 23
St. Andrew, Merrillville, ‘All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast with pancakes and sausage, 9 a.m. to noon in Ameling Hall. Children 6 and younger eat free.
Diocese of Gary Office of Vocations, Merrillville, ‘Black Tie/White Collar Gala’ to support a culture of vocations to the priesthood, 6-10 p.m. at St. Patrick Parish Trinity Hall, 640 N. Calumet Ave., Bldg. 4, Chesterton. Call Peggy Guernsey at 962-8626 or Fran Antone at 405-5461.
GATHERINGS & CLASSES
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 12:30 p.m. fourth Sunday in church hall.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Senior GEMS for all seniors 51 and older meets at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month in St. Patrick Hall.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, ‘Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility from the Catholic Bishops of the U.S.,’ a round table discussion presented by Deacon John Bacon for the Peace and Social Justice Commission, 7 p.m. in the Upstairs Conference Room of the Parish Office. Refreshments will be served.
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Senior GEMS outing to Wine Festival in New Buffalo, Mich., for everyone 55 and older, read “Jesus Shock” for a Book Club meeting at 11 a.m. Oct. 11, and attend “Have A Merry Little Christmas” at the Opera House on Dec. 14. Call Carol at 805-0413.
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Parent Safe Environment Session on How to Protect Children on Social Media’ with Phil Coduti of Homeland Security, 6:15 p.m. in Vamos Hall.
Nov. 5 and 12
Office of Intercultural Ministries, East Chicago, ‘Marriage Prep in Spanish,’ 3-6 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12 at 3814 Grand Blvd., 397-2125
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep in Spanish,' Nov. 5, 12, all 3-6 p.m. at office, 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
HEALTH & FITNESS
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 6:30-7:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetus Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-6234
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health, Crown Point, ‘Diabetes Education and Meal Plan Classes,’ four-week series 1-3 p.m. Tuesdays and 6-8 p.m. Wednesdays in September, October and November in Burrell Classrooms. Individual appointments available. Fee may be covered by insurance. Register at 757-6268.
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure/Sugar Screenings,' Sept. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Sept. 4, Nov. 27, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 'Blood Testing by Healthchek,' Sept. 7, Hammes Hall, door F. Fees. 663-6779
Franciscan Alliance Accountable Care Organization, ‘Senior Health and Wellness Fair’ with screenings, exercises, recipes, vendors, refreshments, giveaways and program by Dr. Samuel West on ‘Pathway to Healthy Living for Seniors,’ 1-3:30 p.m. at Stardust Event Center, Blue Chip Casino, 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City. Free. Register by Sept. 21 at (800) 931-3322.
Franciscan St. Margaret Health, Dyer, ‘Free prostate screenings,’ 5-7 p.m. for men 50-69 whose last screening was prior to January, 2015, and those younger is they are African-American or at high risk due to family history. Registration required at (800) 931-3322.
Andrean High School, Merrillville, ‘Open House,’ 6-7 p.m., preceded at 5 p.m. by freshman and JV volleyball matches and followed at 7 by stage musical “Peter and the Starcatcher.”
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, ‘Respect Life Mass and Living Rosary at the Grotto,’ reconciliation at 8:30 a.m., Mass at 9 and Rosary to follow on first Saturday of the month through October.
Immaculate Conception, Whiting, ‘Annual Outdoor Rosary for Life’ hosted by the Whiting/Robertsdale Faith Enrichment Committee, 2 p.m. at Immaculate Conception Grotto. Alternate site for inclement weather, St. Adalbert Church, Whiting. Call Margaret at 659-4138.
• Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Scripture Study presenting Robert Barron’s Conversion: Following the Call of Christ,’ a DVD-based series at 4 p.m. on the second and fourth Sunday each month beginning Sept. 11 at Ephesus Home, 3033 Condit St.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. Sept. 11 for the intention of the 2017 Synod, and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Fall Session of Book Club.’ Read ‘Beautiful Mercy’ from the Dynamic Catholic Institute and attend discussion sessions 6:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27. Sign up/book sale is 7-7:30 p.m. Sept. 8. Participants must obtain book. 934-0967
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, ‘Stop the World’ daytime retreats,’ 9 a.m.-5 p.m., T-F-Sat. Contact 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org. New Dream Group is forming, to meet 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Wed. of each month. To register, contact bethanyretreathouse.org or 398-5047.
• Carmelite Shrines, Munster, ‘Blue Army All-Night Vigils,’ 7 p.m. every first Friday of the month until 6 a.m. Saturday. 936-8779
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Understanding the Book of Revelation’ Catholic Bible study, 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 12 to Nov. 7, in St. Patrick Hall. Register by Aug. 28 with Linda Hansen at 322-1717 or Deacon Ron Pyle at 808-3255.
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Feast of St. Michael the Archangel Celebration,’ with Ministry Faire and refreshments after all weekend Masses, Eucharistic Adoration 12:30-4:30 p.m. Sunday, Evening Prayer and Benediction at 4:30 Sunday and Spaghetti Dinner at 5 Sunday (bring a dessert to share). RSVP for dinner by Sept. 20 to Michaeline at 322-4505, x220.
St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Student Center, Valparaiso, ‘Faith and the Nicene Creed’ program with Father Chris Stanish, 7 p.m. in Avila Hall.
St. Thomas More Holy Name Society, Munster, ‘Evening of Reflection’ men’s retreat with Bishop Donald J. Hying, 6 p.m. Mass, dinner and program at Carmelite Shrine, Munster. Fee. Seating is limited, RSVP by Sept. 13 to Bill Burke at 588-6151
St. Edward, Lowell, ‘Blessing of the Animals,’ 9:45 a.m. outside of the church. 696-7307
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Living Rosary’ sponsored by Good Shepherd Knights of Columbus Council and Faith Formation, 6:30 p.m. All are invited. 779-9776
Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand, ‘Women of the Church: Strength of the Past. Hope for Tomorrow. A Catholic Leadership Conference’ national gathering for women and men of the Church. Registration discount until July 14. Visit womenofthechurch.org for schedule and registration.
• St. Joseph, Hammond, ‘Mass, Lunch and Panorama Show’ sponsored by the St. Joseph Parish Altar and Rosary Society, 10 a.m. at the Salvatorian Shrine, 5755 Pennsylvania St., Merrillville. Lunch reservations due by Oct. 2 to Gail at 844-6374.
• St. John the Baptist, Whiting, ‘Annual Pet Blessing,’ noon in church ‘barking lot.’ Bring pets on a leash or contained. Pet products to benefit local pet shelter welcome. Call Margaret at 659-4138.
Carmelite Shrine, Munster, ‘98th Anniversary of Fatima Apparitions Devotions with the Blue Army’ at 7-8 p.m. 936-8779
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Mass of Hope and Healing’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying for families of infants and children who died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS or other cause, 4 p.m., followed by a reception. Registration preferred to Jill at 730-9199 or Sue at 838-5755.
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m. 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 2nd Sunday, before 11 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pray for Peace,' Sundays in 2016, 3 p.m.
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Pray for Peace,' after 9:30 a.m. Mass. Open to all.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. June 5 and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, with a different intention each month.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Sacred Heart, Whiting, ‘Lectionary-based Bible Study,’ 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Rose Room.
• St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Thursday Morning Bible Study Group’ discusses ‘Prophets I’ by William A. Anderson, DMin, PhD, 9:45
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 3 p.m., in church, starting Jan. 8. Open to all. 718-4787
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk; doughnuts & coffee afterward.
• St. Thomas Aquinas, Knox, ‘Mass in the Polish language,’ 6 p.m. (574) 772-4134
Serra Club of Northwest Indiana, Hobart, Meal, meeting, prayer and fellowship with group that fosters and affirms vocations to the priesthood and vowed religious life, 5:30 p.m. the first and third Monday every month in the cafeteria at St. Mary Medical Center, 1500 S. Lake Park Ave. All are welcome.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 4th Sun, 12:30 p.m., in church hall.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, Valparaiso, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
• Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘Bereavement Ministry’ with faith-based approach to dealing with grief, conducted by those who have suffered a loss. Share or listen at 7 p.m. second Monday every month except August in Ministry Room of Building 2. 926-1282 or 241-2732
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, ‘Men's Breakfast Support Group’ for men taking care of person's with Alzheimer's Disease/dementia, 8:30 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month at the Viking Chili Bowl Restaurant, U.S. 30, Valparaiso. Call Barb or Terri at 477-5433.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, ‘Caregiver Support Group’ for families with Alzheimer’s/dementia, cancer, stroke and other care responsibilities, 2-3:30 p.m. the fourth Sunday in Blessed Mother Conference Room, west entrance. Call Jim and Pat Koeling at 365-3898 or (888) 303-0180.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Bereavement educational and support group sessions on grief with trained bereavement ministers, 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 22 thru Nov. 3 in SW meeting room. Call Janice at 322-4505, ext. 241 to register.
• St. James the Less, Highland, Fall series of Wounded Healers grief support groups for those who have lost loved ones and suicide survivors meet 7-8:30 p.m. bi-weekly on Wednesdays thru Nov. 2. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Gardening Club’ forming for volunteers to care for church grounds. Call Cindy at 924-2907 or 789-1197.
• Holy Name of Jesus, Cedar Lake, ‘Community Garden volunteers’ needed at 8 a.m. Tuesdays to harvest and package vegetables for St. Clare Kitchen families, and at 8 a.m. Saturdays to work in garden, harvest and distribute produce as needed. 374-7160
• St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Tuesday Night Bingo’ volunteers needed weekly at 4 p.m. 922-2283