All Saints, Hammond, ‘Flea Market’ from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Vendors sought. 932-020
• Shrine of Christ’s Passion, St. John, ‘Sixth annual Shrine Golf Classic’ golf outing, dinner and silent auction. Fee for golf and dinner, or just dinner. Registration at 11 a.m. at White Hawk Country Club, Crown Point. Visit ShrineGolfClassic.com or call 765-1760.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul District Council of Gary, Inc., ‘Ninth annual Friends of the Poor Walk.’ Register at 9 a.m., walk starts at 10 at: Lemon Lake County Park Pavilion 2, 6322 W. 133rd Ave., Crown Point, call Diane at 845-7531; Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, 400 W. 100 North, Valparaiso, call Pam at 241-0973; or Wythogan Park, 301 Wythogan Park, Knox, call Linda at (574) 806-0001 or Mary at (574) 806-2740.
St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Food Pantry Benefit Concert’ with smooth jazz, blues, pop and light rock music by Jim Markiewicz and Smooth Groove, wine tasting, hors d’oeuvres and dessert, 4-7 p.m. in Casa Maria Banquet Hall. Cash bar. Call 865-5482 for tickets.
St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Fall Craft & Vendor Fair’ from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Parish Center. Vendors sought. 942-6441.
Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Tripsters on the Move’ to Bishop Hill, a Swedish town in western Illinois. Also planned is an Oct. 12 trip to Four Winds Casino and Dec. 3 holiday shopping trip to a One of a Kind Vendor Market at Merchandise Mart. Call Marge at 838-1458.
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Senior GEMS outing to the Shrine of Christ’s Passion,’ preceded by 11:30 lunch at Livio’s in St. John, for everyone 55 and older. Also, meet at 8 a.m. Sept. 17 in church parking lot for a visit to the European Market in Chesterton, and read “Jesus Shock” for a Book Club meeting at 11 a.m. Oct. 11.
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Senior citizens group outing’ to “Singing in the Rain” at Marriott Theatre in Deerfield. Call Ceil Dahlen at 662-2236 or Doris Ban at 942-6211. Seating limited to paid reservations.
FOOD & FESTIVAL
St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Fall Fish Fry,’ 4-7 p.m. first Friday of the month, Sept. 2 to Dec. 2, in Casa Maria Banquet Hall. Adult dinners with fried or baked white fish and child dinners offer chicken nuggets and mac and cheese; 5 and younger eat free. 865-5482
St. Paul, Valparaiso, ‘Panther Pint Prowl Brewfest’ with more than 50 beers to sample, food, live music, souvenir glass and silent auction, 3-6 p.m. in school gymnasium. Ages 21 and older, with ID. Discount for designated drivers. Visit pantherpintprowl.com.
• First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association Junior Branches, ‘Gary SouthShore RailCats baseball outing for all junior members, 2:10 p.m. start at U.S. Steelyard, One Stadium Plaza, Gary. Call branch officer by June 30 for reservations; Branch 317 – Agnes at 865-6396, Branch 348 – Betty at 671-9278, Branch 184 – Cindy at 322-8968 or Branch 58 – Annette at 659-3238.
• Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, ‘Family and Friends Day and Picnic’ begins after 10 a.m. Mass on east lawn, with free hamburgers and hot dogs, DJ, children’s activities, games and Zumba class at 2 p.m. Tents and grills permitted. Parish families asked to bring a side dish or dessert to share.
• St. John Bosco, Hammond, ‘Parish Picnic’ with music, Polish, Mexican and American food, beer and wine coolers, kids’ games, raffles, shaded tables and bingo (1-4 p.m.). Free admission. 844-9027
All Saints, Hammond, ‘Parish Festival’ with food, beer garden, bean bag contest (call 932-0204 to register), games, raffles and prizes. Hispanic Day is 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday and Polish Day is 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, ‘Christian Family Night Concert’ sponsored by several local Christian churches at Cedar Lake Town Complex, 7408 Constitution Ave. Food, music and fellowship. Gates open at 5 p.m.; bring seating. Free admission. If weather is inclement, go to Hanover Central Junior-Senior High School. Visit cedarlakeconcert.org.
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘First Responders Breakfast’ sponsored by the Knights of Columbus St. Pope John Paul II Council 16008, 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parish hall. Free will donation. 801-5250
• Polish Heritage Festival, Michigan City, ‘Polish Heritage Festival’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying as main celebrant at 11 a.m. Polish-English Mass in Symphony Garden, followed by noon to 5 p.m. food, polka band, folk dancers, pisanki, cultural displays, raffles, vendors, beer garden and awards. Admission fee for ages 12 and older. Visit facebook.com/PolishHeritageFestivalMC.
Campagna Academy, Schererville, ‘Spaghetti Dinner honoring Father Michael Campagna’s memory, to benefit at-risk youth, 5-7:30 p.m. in gym. Tickets available at 322-8614, x453, at administration building and at the door.
Sept. 30-Oct. 1
St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Rummage, Baked Goods and Pierogi Sale.’ Drop off donations Sept. 28 and 29. Call Pat at 922-1961 or Jan at 922-6469.
GATHERINGS & CLASSES
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 12:30 p.m. fourth Sunday in church hall.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Senior GEMS for all seniors 51 and older meets at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month in St. Patrick Hall.
Polish-American Cultural Society of Northwest Indiana, Michigan City, ‘Michigan City Chapter meeting,’ 5 p.m. at St. Mary School Building, 321 W. 11th St. Call Theresa Child at 464-1369.
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Parent Safe Environment Session on How to Protect Children on Social Media’ with Phil Coduti of Homeland Security, 6:15 p.m. in Vamos Hall.
Nov. 5 and 12
Office of Intercultural Ministries, East Chicago, ‘Marriage Prep in Spanish,’ 3-6 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12 at 3814 Grand Blvd., 397-2125
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep in Spanish,' Aug. 6, 13, Nov. 5, 12, all 3-6 p.m. at office, 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
HEALTH & FITNESS
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure/Sugar Screenings,' Aug. 21, Sept. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Sept. 4, Nov. 27, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 'Blood Testing by Healthchek,' Sept. 7, Hammes Hall, door F. Fees. 663-6779
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 6:30-7:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetes Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-623
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Second Annual St. Mary School 5K Run,’ registration and sign-in at 7:45 a.m., start at 9. Fee. Register at runsignup.com/Race/IN/Griffith/StMarySchool5KRun, on race day or pick up form at back of church.
Franciscan St. Anthony Health, Michigan City, ‘American Red Cross blood drive,’ 8 a.m. to noon. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
St. Matthias, Crown Point, ‘American Red Cross blood drive,’ 12:30-6:30 p.m. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness, Chesterton, ‘American Red Cross blood drive,’ 2-8 p.m. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
Franciscan St. Margaret Health, Hammond, ‘Fall Prevention at Home’ with registered nurse Marilynn Bland at Franciscan Senior Promise meeting for 55 and older,10 a.m. 933-2100
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, ‘Family Health Fair’ with health screenings, nurse practitioner consultations, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the church narthex. Flu Clinic available for a fee for ages 11 and older who have previously had a flu shot and younger children with a prescription.
Franciscan Alliance Accountable Care Organization, ‘Senior Health and Wellness Fair’ with screenings, exercises, recipes, vendors, refreshments, giveaways and program by Dr. Kathryn Mulligan on ‘Pathway to Healthy Living for Seniors,’ 1-3:30 p.m. at Briar Ridge Country Club, 123 Country Club Drive, Schererville. Free. Register by Sept. 7 at (800) 931-3322.
Franciscan Alliance Accountable Care Organization, ‘Senior Health and Wellness Fair’ with screenings, exercises, recipes, vendors, refreshments, giveaways and program by Dr. Samuel West on ‘Pathway to Healthy Living for Seniors,’ 1-3:30 p.m. at Stardust Event Center, Blue Chip Casino, 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City. Free. Register by Sept. 21 at (800) 931-3322.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m.
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Fall Session of Book Club.’ Read ‘Beautiful Mercy’ from the Dynamic Catholic Institute and attend discussion sessions 6:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27. Sign up/book sale is 7-7:30 p.m. Sept. 8. Participants must obtain book. 934-0967
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, ‘Stop the World’ daytime retreats,’ 9 a.m.-5 p.m., T-F-Sat. Contact 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org. New Dream Group is forming, to meet 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Wed. of each month. To register, contact bethanyretreathouse.org or 398-5047.
• Carmelite Shrines, Munster, ‘Blue Army All-Night Vigils,’ 7 p.m. every first Friday of the month until 6 a.m. Saturday. 936-8779
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Understanding the Book of Revelation’ Catholic Bible study, 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 12 to Nov. 7, in St. Patrick Hall. Register by Aug. 28 with Linda Hansen at 322-1717 or Deacon Ron Pyle at 808-3255.
Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, ‘Society of St. Vincent de Paul meeting,’ 6:30 p.m. in the Cana Room. Prospective members welcome.
Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, ‘Opening of the School Year Mass’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying, 9:30 a.m.
University of St. Francis, Crown Point, ‘Convocation, Mass with Bishop Donald J. Hying, and Luncheon’ to open the school year, 11 a.m. at Franciscan Point, 12800 Mississippi Parkway
Lindenwood Retreat and Conference Center, Donaldson, ‘The Vision of the 21st Century According to St. Paul’ retreat led by Father Jerry Schweitzer, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. (CST). Fee includes continental breakfast and lunch. Bring a Bible. Visit Lindenwood.org or call (574) 935-1780.
Marquette Catholic High School, Michigan City, ‘Opening of the School Year Mass’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying, 9 a.m. at St. Mary Church
Retrouvaille Marriage Help, ‘Retrouvaille Marriage Help Weekend’ in Darien, Ill. for married couples experiencing difficulties at all levels. Visit retrouvaille.org or call (708) 802-1830 or (800) 470-2230.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘’Igniting the Fire Lock-in’ youth ministry retreat for grades 6-12, 2:30 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday, sponsored by St. Patrick, Holy Spirit, St. Anne and Our Lady of Consolation parishes. Fee. Visit igniting-th-fire.org or call 331-6674 or 661-0644.
Sept. 13, Oct. 13
Carmelite Shrines, Munster, ‘99th Anniversary of Third Apparition Fatima Devotions with the Blue Army’ at 7-8 p.m. 836-8779
Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, ‘All Alumni Homecoming Weekend Mass,’ 11 a.m. at Our Lady of Grace Church, 3205 Highway Ave., with the Bishop Noll Choir joining the celebration.
St. Thomas More Holy Name Society, Munster, ‘Evening of Reflection’ men’s retreat with Bishop Donald J. Hying, 6 p.m. Mass, dinner and program at Carmelite Shrine, Munster. Fee. Seating is limited, RSVP by Sept. 13 to Bill Burke at 588-6151
Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand, ‘Women of the Church: Strength of the Past. Hope for Tomorrow. A Catholic Leadership Conference’ national gathering for women and men of the Church. Registration discount until July 14. Visit womenofthechurch.org for schedule and registration.
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Mass of Hope and Healing’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying for families of infants and children who died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS or other cause, 4 p.m., followed by a reception. Registration preferred to Jill at 730-9199 or Sue at 838-5755.
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m. 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 2nd Sunday, before 11 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pray for Peace,' Sundays in 2016, 3 p.m.
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Pray for Peace,' after 9:30 a.m. Mass. Open to all.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. June 5 and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, with a different intention each month.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Sacred Heart, Whiting, ‘Lectionary-based Bible Study,’ 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Rose Room.
• St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 3 p.m., in church, starting Jan. 8. Open to all. 718-4787
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk; doughnuts & coffee afterward.
• St. Thomas Aquinas, Knox, ‘Mass in the Polish language,’ 6 p.m. (574) 772-4134
Serra Club of Northwest Indiana, Hobart, Meal, meeting, prayer and fellowship with group that fosters and affirms vocations to the priesthood and vowed religious life, 5:30 p.m. the first and third Monday every month in the cafeteria at St. Mary Medical Center, 1500 S. Lake Park Ave. All are welcome.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 4th Sun, 12:30 p.m., in church hall.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, Valparaiso, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
• Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘Bereavement Ministry’ with faith-based approach to dealing with grief, conducted by those who have suffered a loss. Share or listen at 7 p.m. second Monday every month except August in Ministry Room of Building 2. 926-1282 or 241-2732
• Wounded Healers grief support groups, Spring series continues 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 8 and 22 and July 6, at St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOLS
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Gardening Club’ forming for volunteers to care for church grounds. Call Cindy at 924-2907 or 789-1197.
• Holy Name of Jesus, Cedar Lake, ‘Community Garden volunteers’ needed at 8 a.m. Tuesdays to harvest and package vegetables for St. Clare Kitchen families, and at 8 a.m. Saturdays to work in garden, harvest and distribute produce as needed. 374-7160
• St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Tuesday Night Bingo’ volunteers needed weekly at 4 p.m. 922-2283