• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, ‘Women’s Club fundraiser at Pepe’s Mexican Restaurant, 260 E. 84th Drive, Merrillville, from Sept. 26 thru Oct. 2, 2016. Ask for a coupon at Pepe’s while dining, and 15 percent of the bill will be donated to the club.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Annual Craft Fair & Bake Sale’ on Nov. 12-13 and 19-20 in parish hall. Call 980-5155 for vendor information.
LaPorte County Right to Life, LaPorte, ‘Fall Banquet Gala’ with abortion survivor Gianna Jessen as guest speaker, 5-6 p.m. social hour with Bishop Donald J. Hying and silent auction. RSVP to Sheryll Werner at 861-9037.
St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, ‘Craft Fair,’ 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville. Crafters needed. 980-9348
Nov. 5 and 6
• St. Thomas More, Munster, ‘31st annual Holiday Bazaar and Art & Craft Fair’ sponsored by the Altar & Rosary Society. Crafters wanted. Call 836-5079 for vendor application.
- • Our Lady of Grace, Highland, 45th annual Christmas Bazaar sponsored by Altar & Rosary Sodality, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Sunday in school cafeteria (North Entrance). 924-8483 or 838-0395
St. John Bosco, Hammond, ‘Holiday Bazaar,’ 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the cafeteria on 171st Street off of Columbia Avenue. Vendor space available; call Beckie at 902-6371.
Franciscan Health Hammond and Dyer, ‘Senior Promise group Lunch Bunch meal, 1 p.m. at Casa Del Mar, Munster. Call the Health Resource Center at 933-2100 or (708) 891-9111 for reservations.
St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Bus trip to see “Smoky Joe’s Café”’ at the Drury Lane Theatre, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill., bus leaves at 10 a.m. Ticket price includes lunch. 865-5482
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Senior citizens group outing’ to “Singing in the Rain” at Marriott Theatre in Deerfield. Call Ceil Dahlen at 662-2236 or Doris Ban at 942-6211. Seating limited to paid reservations.
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘St. Mary Rosary Society trip’ to shop and see “Crazy For You” at Drury Lane Theatre in Oakbrook, Terrace, Ill., bus leaves at 9 a.m. and returns at 5 p.m. Call Mary Ann Maggi at 838-8989.
FOOD & FESTIVAL
- • Marian Council 3840 Knights of Columbus, Cedar Lake, Haunted Forest, tickets sold 7-9 p.m. Oct. 21-22 and Oct. 28-29 at K of C Hall, 13039 U.S. 41. Not recommended for small children and those unable to navigate uneven terrain.
- • St. John Bosco, Hammond, Haunted Hall sponsored by SJB Youth Group, 6-10 p.m. Oct. 21-22 and Oct. 28-29 in parish hall. Admission fee.
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Fall Fish Fry,’ 4-7 p.m. first Friday of the month, Sept. 2 to Dec. 2, in Casa Maria Banquet Hall. Adult dinners with fried or baked white fish and child dinners offer chicken nuggets and mac and cheese; 5 and younger eat free. 865-5482
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Annual All-You-Can-Eat Soup Luncheon, Bake Sale and Jewelry Sale,’ 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the church hall. Carryouts available.
St. John Bosco, Hammond, Halloween Spooktacular sponsored by SJB Youth Group, 6-9 p.m. in cafeteria, 171st Street off Columbia Avenue (Door G). Free admission with food and activities available. Family-friendly costumes welcome.
• Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary, ‘Fall Festival Farmers Market’ presented by Catholic Charities, Diocese of Gary and Habitat for Humanity of NWI, 9 a.m. to noon. Fresh produce, free coffee, and food and craft vendors. To volunteer, call 886-3549.
• St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Las Vegas Nite’ for age 21 and older sponsored by the St. Mary Men’s club, 5:30 p.m. to midnight at Hildebrandt Hall, 525 N. Lafayette St. Admission fee includes food and beverages. 924-4163
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Trunk or Treat, 4-9 p.m. with Best Decorated Trunk and Pumpkin Decorating contests, performance by Nicole Jamrose from 6-9, pumpkin patch, bounce house, craft vendors, Touch A Fire Truck and more. Visit Facebook at stmichaelsville.
• Diocese of Gary Office of Vocations, Merrillville, ‘Black Tie/White Collar Gala’ to support a culture of vocations to the priesthood, 6-10 p.m. at St. Patrick Parish Trinity Hall, 640 N. Calumet Ave., Bldg. 4, Chesterton. Call Peggy Guernsey at 962-8626 or Fran Antone at 405-5461.
- • Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, Third annual Wine & Brew Festival sponsored by Council 9114 Knights of Columbus, 6-9 p.m. with food, prizes and silent auction. For tickets, call Bill Siminski at 850-4290, Emery Kostelink at 628-0036 or Ron Benson at 762-8416.
First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association, Whiting-Branch 81, ‘Annual Holiday Luncheon’ for FCSLA members only, 1 p.m. at Dynasty Banquets, 4141 Calumet Ave., Hammond. RSVP to Mary at 659-5376 or 659-7270 by Nov. 1.
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘11th annual International Dinner & Auction’ to benefit Savior of the World Children’s Center in Sierra Leone, 5:30-9:30 p.m. in Hildebrandt Hall, 525 N. Lafayette St. To provide auction items or volunteer, call Rosanne at 765-1396 or Elaine at 923-4575. For tickets, visit savioroftheworld.org and click on EVENTS.
GATHERINGS & CLASSES
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 12:30 p.m. fourth Sunday in church hall.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Senior GEMS for all seniors 51 and older meets at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month in St. Patrick Hall.
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Parent Safe Environment Session on How to Protect Children on Social Media’ with Phil Coduti of Homeland Security, 6:15 p.m. in Vamos Hall.'
Andrean High School, Merrillville, ‘Trivia Night’ hosted by the Andrean Alumni Association; tablegating at 6 p.m. and contest at 7 in school cafeteria. Tickets by individuals or enter a team of 8. Prize to highest scoring team and auction for concert tickets. Registration and payment due by Oct. 26. 793-1375 or alumni office at 887-5959, x241.
St. Bridget, Hobart, Turkey Bingo, 1 p.m. first call (doors open at 12:30) in parish center. 942-6441
Nov. 5 and 12
Office of Intercultural Ministries, East Chicago, ‘Marriage Prep in Spanish,’ 3-6 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12 at 3814 Grand Blvd., 397-2125
Polish-American Cultural Society of Northwest Indiana, Michigan City, ‘Michigan City Chapter meeting,’ 5 p.m. at St. Mary School Building, 321 W. Eleventh St. Call Theresa Child at 464-1369.
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep in Spanish,' Nov. 5, 12, all 3-6 p.m. at office, 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
HEALTH & FITNESS
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 6:30-7:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetus Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-6234
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health, Crown Point, ‘Diabetes Education and Meal Plan Classes,’ four-week series 1-3 p.m. Tuesdays and 6-8 p.m. Wednesdays in September, October and November in Burrell Classrooms. Individual appointments available. Fee may be covered by insurance. Register at 757-6268.
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure/Sugar Screenings,' Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Nov. 27, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. Fees. 663-6779
- • St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, American Red Cross Blood Drive, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
- • Franciscan Health Michigan City, Diabetes Education and Health Fair, 8-10:30 a.m. at Coolspring Health Center, 1225 E. Coolspring Ave. (Entrance C). Free admission and health screenings, door prizes and refreshments. Discussion at 9 a.m. by Adeela Alizai, MD, on how diabetes affects eyesight. Registration required at (800) 931-3322.
- Oct. 25
Franciscan Health Michigan City, American Red Cross Blood Drive, 8 a.m.-noon. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness, Chesterton, American Red Cross Blood Drive, 2-8 p.m. Call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment, or walk in.
Franciscan Health Hammond, ‘Franciscan Senior Promise program on The 15 Most Common Health Concerns for Seniors,’ 10 a.m. Stop at Information Desk to check on location. 933-2100
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, ‘Respect Life Mass and Living Rosary at the Grotto,’ reconciliation at 8:30 a.m., Mass at 9 and Rosary to follow on first Saturday of the month through October.
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Mass of Hope and Healing’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying, 4 p.m. for parents and relatives of those experiencing the loss of a child by miscarriage, stillbirth and other causes. To participate in candle lighting memorial, call Jill at 730-9199 or Sue at 838-5755 by Oct. 19.
• Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Scripture Study presenting Robert Barron’s Conversion: Following the Call of Christ,’ a DVD-based series at 4 p.m. on the second and fourth Sunday each month beginning Sept. 11 at Ephesus Home, 3033 Condit St.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. Sept. 11 for the intention of the 2017 Synod, and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Fall Session of Book Club.’ Read ‘Beautiful Mercy’ from the Dynamic Catholic Institute and attend discussion sessions 6:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27. Sign up/book sale is 7-7:30 p.m. Sept. 8. Participants must obtain book. 934-0967
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, ‘Stop the World’ daytime retreats,’ 9 a.m.-5 p.m., T-F-Sat. Contact 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org. New Dream Group is forming, to meet 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Wed. of each month. To register, contact bethanyretreathouse.org or 398-5047.
• Carmelite Shrines, Munster, ‘Blue Army All-Night Vigils,’ 7 p.m. every first Friday of the month until 6 a.m. Saturday. 936-8779
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Understanding the Book of Revelation’ Catholic Bible study, 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 12 to Nov. 7, in St. Patrick Hall. Register by Aug. 28 with Linda Hansen at 322-1717 or Deacon Ron Pyle at 808-3255.
• Sacred Heart, Whiting, ‘St. Augustine Institute 10-week DVD series on St. Peter’ hosted by Whiting/Robertsdale Catholic Faith Community, 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 4 and Oct. 18 thru Dec. 20, in the Rose Room, 1739 LaPorte Ave. Call Margaret Saliga at 659-4138.
• Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Scripture Study presenting Robert Barron’s Conversion: Following the Call of Christ,’ a DVD-based series at 4 p.m. on the second and fourth Sunday each month at Ephesus Home, 3033 Condit St.
• Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary, ‘Diocesan Peace and Social Justice Commission prayer and study of the life and teachings of Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker Movement, 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 24 and Nov. 28 in the rectory.
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, ’33 Days to Merciful Love’ small group retreat begins, a five-session DVD-book study sponsored by Revolve for Women and Ministry of Mothers Sharing, 10-11:30 a.m. in Life House or 7-8:30 p.m. in Trinity Hall. Purchase materials at stjohnparish.org/revolve.php
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, “An Evening of Healing and Hope with John Michael Talbot’ thru spoken word and sacred song, 7 p.m. No ticket required; love offering will support ministries of Talbot and the Brothers and sisters of Charity. 365-5678
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Mass of Hope and Healing’ with Bishop Donald J. Hying for families of infants and children who died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS or other cause, 4 p.m., followed by a reception. Registration preferred to Jill at 730-9199 or Sue at 838-5755.
St. James the Less, Highland, Read “Beautiful Mercy” from the Dynamic Catholic Institute and attend book club discussion 6:30-7:30 p.m. 934-0967
St. Mary, Griffith, Halloween Blessing from Father Theodore Mens, 4-4:15 p.m. in church. Children will receive a reflective treat bag and sweets; must be accompanied by an adult. 924-4163
- • St. John the Baptist, Whiting, Annual All Souls Evening Prayer Service hosted by the Whiting/Robertsdale Catholic Community, 7 p.m. with remembrance by name of those who passed away this past year with church bells, candles and prayers.
- • St. Edward, Lowell, Mass celebrating the Day of the Dead, 6:30 p.m., followed by potluck dinner in school gym. 552-4192
- • St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Mass of Remembrance for parishioners and family members and all who died during the past year, 7 p.m., followed by refreshments. 322-4505, x241
All Saints, Hammond, Parish 120th Anniversary Mass celebrated by Bishop Donald J. Hying, 9 a.m., followed by a pancake breakfast and bake sale until 1 p.m.
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m. 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 2nd Sunday, before 11 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pray for Peace,' Sundays in 2016, 3 p.m.
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Pray for Peace,' after 9:30 a.m. Mass. Open to all.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. June 5 and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, with a different intention each month.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Sacred Heart, Whiting, ‘Lectionary-based Bible Study,’ 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Rose Room.
• St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Thursday Morning Bible Study Group’ discusses ‘Prophets I’ by William A. Anderson, DMin, PhD, 9:45
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 3 p.m., in church, starting Jan. 8. Open to all. 718-4787
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk; doughnuts & coffee afterward.
• St. Thomas Aquinas, Knox, ‘Mass in the Polish language,’ 6 p.m. (574) 772-4134
Serra Club of Northwest Indiana, Hobart, Meal, meeting, prayer and fellowship with group that fosters and affirms vocations to the priesthood and vowed religious life, 5:30 p.m. the first and third Monday every month in the cafeteria at St. Mary Medical Center, 1500 S. Lake Park Ave. All are welcome.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 4th Sun, 12:30 p.m., in church hall.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, Valparaiso, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
• Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘Bereavement Ministry’ with faith-based approach to dealing with grief, conducted by those who have suffered a loss. Share or listen at 7 p.m. second Monday every month except August in Ministry Room of Building 2. 926-1282 or 241-2732
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, ‘Men's Breakfast Support Group’ for men taking care of person's with Alzheimer's Disease/dementia, 8:30 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month at the Viking Chili Bowl Restaurant, U.S. 30, Valparaiso. Call Barb or Terri at 477-5433.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, ‘Caregiver Support Group’ for families with Alzheimer’s/dementia, cancer, stroke and other care responsibilities, 2-3:30 p.m. the fourth Sunday in Blessed Mother Conference Room, west entrance. Call Jim and Pat Koeling at 365-3898 or (888) 303-0180.
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, ‘Caregiver Support Group’ for families caring for those with Alzheimer's disease/dementia, 3-4:30 p.m. second Thursday of each month at Pesto's Italian Restaurant, 3123 Calumet Ave., Valparaiso. Call Barb or Terri at 477-5433.
• Diocese of Gary Pastoral Center, Merrillville, ‘Loving Outreach to Survivors of Suicide’ support group meeting sponsored by Catholic Charities, 7-9 p.m. the third Monday of each month beginning Nov. 21. Call LOSS intake at (312) 655-7284, and to check on meeting in case of severe weather, call (312) 948-7902.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Bereavement educational and support group sessions on grief with trained bereavement ministers, 7-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 22 thru Nov. 3 in SW meeting room. Call Janice at 322-4505, ext. 241 to register.
• St. James the Less, Highland, Fall series of Wounded Healers grief support groups for those who have lost loved ones and suicide survivors meet 7-8:30 p.m. bi-weekly on Wednesdays thru Nov. 2. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• St. Matthias, Crown Point, ‘Grief Support Group’ sponsored by parish’s Hope Ministry, 11:15 a.m. sessions facilitated by trained professionals on Sundays, Oct. 23 thru Nov. 13, in the parish center. 663-2201
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Gardening Club’ forming for volunteers to care for church grounds. Call Cindy at 924-2907 or 789-1197.
• Holy Name of Jesus, Cedar Lake, ‘Community Garden volunteers’ needed at 8 a.m. Tuesdays to harvest and package vegetables for St. Clare Kitchen families, and at 8 a.m. Saturdays to work in garden, harvest and distribute produce as needed. 374-7160
• St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Tuesday Night Bingo’ volunteers needed weekly at 4 p.m. 922-2283