Open Door Community Alliance, LaPorte, ‘Garden Show,’ 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days at Judy’s Daylilies, 1805. N. 675 West, offering plants, grasses and trees for sale. Explore gardens and wooded walking trails, with food, beverages and art vendors. Proceeds benefit a not-for-profit health care coalition at Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City which helps provide access to health services and education for uninsured and low-income patients. A requested donation includes two day lilies. 362-7887
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Annual Rummage Sale,’ 9 a.m. to 4.p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. 769-1755
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Family Fun Fest $100,000 Mega Raffle,’ 10 p.m. drawing at St. Patrick Hall on festival grounds. For tickets, visit stmichaelparish.life/funfest or call 322-4505, x249.
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘Fernwood Gardens in Niles, Mich. trip’ sponsored by senior citizens group, with stop at an Lehman's Orchard and Winery and lunch at Olfactory Hue Artsy Bistro. Also planned is a Nov. 2 outing to “Singing in the Rain” at Marriott Theatre in Deerfield. Call Ceil Dahlen at 662-2236 or Doris Ban at 942-6211. Seating limited to paid reservations.
St. James the Less Church, Highland, Canadian Fishing Trip to Eagle Lake in Ontario, with transportation, lodging, license, boats, guide, bait and all meals. Reserve a spot by May 31. Call Mike Krupa at 670-9601.
FOOD & FESTIVAL
St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Magic of Motown’ dinner, live music by Upbeat Orchestra with dancing and beer tasting, 6 p.m. Tickets available at church office. Visit stjsmeshall.org.
St. Stanislaus Kostka, Michigan City, ‘125th Anniversary Parish Festival,’ 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday with 4 p.m. outdoor Mass, 11 am. To 6 p.m. Sunday, with food vendors, beer garden, adult gaming, music, inflatables and children’s games. Visit SaintStansMC125th.com or call 879-9281, x218.
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Family Fun Fest’ from 5-11 p.m. both days, with traveling zoo, magic show, bingo, beer garden, casino games, food, entertainment, Burger Eating contest. Visit stmichaelparish.life/funfest or call 322-4505, x249.
St. Stanislaus, East Chicago, ‘East Chicago Catholic School Re’ for everyone who attended any Catholic school in East Chicago, 5:30-11 p.m. with DJ music, beer garden, Mexican food and pizza. 398-2341
Sharing Meadows, LaPorte, ‘22nd annual Leprechaun Hunt Family Fun Day,’ noon to 6 p.m. all-you-can-eat picnic buffet, hunt for 33 ‘cash’ leprechauns, Irish music, magic, hay rides, fishing and obstacle course. Discounted tickets thru July 29, with free admission for 13 and younger with parents/grandparents. Call 778-2585 or visit leprechaunhunt.com.
Notre Dame School, Michigan City, ‘Notre Dame Family Festival,’ 5-11 p.m. (Mass in the Grass at 4) with food and beverages, games, silent auction and raffles. 872-6216
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Western Days’ festival, 6-11 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 3-11 p.m. Saturday and 1-11 p.m. Sunday with carnival rides, beer garden, live music and food, including a chicken dinner Sunday. Mega Pass for rides available at rectory. Visit smfriffith.org or call 924-4163.
First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association Junior Branches, ‘Gary SouthShore RailCats baseball outing for all junior members, 2:10 p.m. start at U.S. Steelyard, One Stadium Plaza, Gary. Call branch officer by June 30 for reservations; Branch 317 – Agnes at 865-6396, Branch 348 – Betty at 671-9278, Branch 184 – Cindy at 322-8968 or Branch 58 – Annette at 659-3238.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, ‘Chicken & Mostaccioli Dinner’ at 12:30 p.m. at Great Oaks Banquets, 13109 U.S. 41. Cash bar and raffles. Tickets available after Masses or call 374-7160.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, ‘Panther Pint Prowl Brewfest’ with more than 50 beers to sample, food, live music, souvenir glass and silent auction, 3-6 p.m. in school gymnasium. Ages 21 and older, with ID. Discount for designated drivers. Visit pantherpintprowl.com.
GATHERINGS & CLASSES
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 12:30 p.m. fourth Sunday in church hall.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, Senior GEMS for all seniors 51 and older meets at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month in St. Patrick Hall.
Andrean High School, Merrillville, ‘Math Help Camp’ for grades 8-9. 8-10 a.m. daily. Free. Register by July 18 at 887-5959 or andreanhs.org/summercamps.
Polish-American Cultural Society of Northwest Indiana, Michigan City, ‘Michigan City Chapter meeting,’ 5 p.m. at St. Mary School Building, 321 W. 11th St. Call Theresa Child at 464-1369.
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep in Spanish,' Aug. 6, 13, Nov. 5, 12, all 3-6 p.m. at office, 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
HEALTH & FITNESS
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure/Sugar Screenings,' May 15, June 19, July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' May 8, Sept. 4, Nov. 27, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 'Blood Testing by Healthchek,' May 4, Sept. 7, Hammes Hall, door F. Fees. 663-6779
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 6:30-7:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetes Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-6234
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health, Crown Point, medical terminology class at hospital, nine-week course begins April 5 and continues Tuesdays, 5-7 p.m. Fees. To register, call 757-6368.
St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, ‘Parish Pool Gathering, 6-9 p.m. at the Munster Pool, 8837 Calumet Ave., Munster. Youths 17 and younger must be accompanied by a parent. 322-6124
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘What Medicare Covers’ talk by Franciscan Alliance Medicare Specialist Barbara Rossi, hosted by Senior GEMS, 1-3 p.m. in St. Patrick Hall. Free, but call Carol at 805-0413 by July 20 to reserve a seat.
Calumet College of St. Joseph, Hammond, ‘Inaugural Pierogi 5K Stumble,’ 6:30 p.m. ticket to same night NWI Oilmen baseball game, shirt guaranteed if registered by July 15. Register at ccsj.edu
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Second Annual St. Mary School 5K Run,’ registration and sign-in at 7:45 a.m., start at 9. Fee. Register at runsignup.com/Race/IN/Griffith/StMarySchool5KRun, on race day or pick up form at back of church,.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. John Bosco, Hammond, ‘Clothing Giveaway’ open to everyone with a need, 9 a.m. to noon in school cafeteria, 1231 171st Place. Donate clothing for men, women and children, shoes and boots, clean and in good condition, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays in parish office, 1247 171st Place, and in church vestibule Sundays through July 27, and 8:30-11:30 a.m., 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. during week of July 25-29. 844-9027
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m.
Indiana Knights of Columbus, South Bend, ‘Memorial for the Unborn Prayer Vigil for Life’ with Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades officiating, 6 p.m. (CST) at the garden next to the closed clinic at 2004 Ironwood Circle. RSVP appreciated at (574) 232-LIFE, or call Mike Velasco at 663-0509 with questions.
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, ‘Annual Rummage Sale,’ 9 a.m. to 4.p.m. Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. 769-1755
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, ‘Stop the World’ daytime retreats,’ 9 a.m.-5 p.m., T-F-Sat. Contact 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org. New Dream Group is forming, to meet 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Wed. of each month. To register, contact bethanyretreathouse.org or 398-5047.
• St. Michael Archangel, Schererville, ‘Witnesses to Freedom nightly prayer service during Fortnight for Freedom,’ 6 p.m. daily, June 22 thru July 4,at Shrine of Christ’s Passion, 10630 U.S. 41. Call Jim Laud Sr. at 712-4533.
• Carmelite Shrines, Munster, ‘Blue Army All-Night Vigils,’ 7 p.m. every first Friday of the month until 6 a.m. Saturday. 936-8779
Our Lady of Grace, Highland, ‘Theology on Tap’ for ages 21-39 from 6:30-9 p.m. In cafeteria. Visit garyontap.com.
St. Mary, Crown Point, ‘Theology on Tap’ for ages 21-39 at 7 p.m. at Crown Brewing at 211 S. East St.
Retrouvaille Marriage Help, ‘Retrouvaille Marriage Help Weekend’ in the Chicagoland area for married couples experiencing difficulties at all levels. Visit HelpOurMarriage.com or call (708) 802-1830 or (800) 470-2230.
Worldwide Marriage Encounter, Elk Grove Village, Ill., weekend retreat for couples to strengthen, renew and rekindle their marriage. For reservations, contact Jim and Kris at (630) 577-0778 or wwme-chicagoland.org.
St. John the Evangelist/St. Thomas More/Holy Name of Jesus, ‘Migrant Mass’ sponsored by the St. John, Munster and Cedar Lake parishes at 6 p.m. at Herr Farm, 9804 W. 219th Ave., Lowell, with Bishop Donald J. Hying officiating.
Aug. 19, Sept. 13, Oct. 13
Carmelite Monastery, Munster, ‘ 99th Anniversary of Fourth Apparition Fatima Devotions with the Blue Army,’ 7-8 p.m. 836-8779
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, ‘20th Anniversary of Dedication of Log Cabin Day Chapel’ with Eucharistic Procession, 3 p.m., followed by fellowship in the school gym.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘’Igniting the Fire Lock-in’ youth ministry retreat for grades 6-12, 2:30 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday, sponsored by St. Patrick, Holy Spirit, St. Anne and Our Lady of Consolation parishes. Fee. Visit igniting-th-fire.org or call 331-6674 or 661-0644.
Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand, ‘Women of the Church: Strength of the Past. Hope for Tomorrow. A Catholic Leadership Conference’ national gathering for women and men of the Church. Registration discount until July 14. Visit womenofthechurch.org for schedule and registration.
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m. 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 2nd Sunday, before 11 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pray for Peace,' Sundays in 2016, 3 p.m.
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Pray for Peace,' after 9:30 a.m. Mass. Open to all.
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, ‘Marian Devotions,’ 8 p.m. June 5 and every other Sunday through October at Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, with a different intention each month.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Sacred Heart, Whiting, ‘Lectionary-based Bible Study,’ 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Rose Room.
• St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Bridget, Hobart, ‘Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,’ 10-11:45 a.m. and 5-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Fee. Bring your Bible.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Divine Mercy Chaplet,' 3 p.m., in church, starting Jan. 8. Open to all. 718-4787
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk; doughnuts & coffee afterward.
• St. Thomas Aquinas, Knox, ‘Mass in the Polish language,’ 6 p.m. (574) 772-4134
Serra Club of Northwest Indiana, Hobart, Meal, meeting, prayer and fellowship with group that fosters and affirms vocations to the priesthood and vowed religious life, 5:30 p.m. the first and third Monday every month in the cafeteria at St. Mary Medical Center, 1500 S. Lake Park Ave. All are welcome.
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, ‘ARCS for Retired Catholic Seniors 55+,’ 4th Sun, 12:30 p.m., in church hall.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, Valparaiso, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
• Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, ‘Bereavement Ministry’ with faith-based approach to dealing with grief, conducted by those who have suffered a loss. Share or listen at 7 p.m. second Monday every month except August in Ministry Room of Building 2. 926-1282 or 241-2732
• Wounded Healers grief support groups, Spring series continues 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 8 and 22 and July 6, at St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOLS
St. Mary, Griffith, ‘Surf’s Up! Vacation Bible School for entering kindergarten through grade 4, 9 a.m. to noon in the small hall. Parents and older siblings welcome to volunteer. 924-4163
• St. James the Less, Highland, ‘Gardening Club’ forming for volunteers to care for church grounds. Call Cindy at 924-2907 or 789-1197.
• Holy Name of Jesus, Cedar Lake, ‘Community Garden volunteers’ needed at 8 a.m. Tuesdays to harvest and package vegetables for St. Clare Kitchen families, and at 8 a.m. Saturdays to work in garden, harvest and distribute produce as needed. 374-7160