St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'St. Agnes Gala,' 6-10 p.m., Valparaiso Country Club. 462-4989 or 447-5433
• Nativity of Our Savior School, Portage, 'Boo-Fest,' 6-9:30 p.m., school gym. Hayrides, bonfires, food, games. nativityofoursavior.net
• St. Thomas More School, Munster, 'Oktoberfest,' 6-11 p.m., school gym. stm-school.com/oktoberfest
St. John Bosco, Hammond, 'Halloween Spooktacular,' 6-9 p.m., school cafeteria (door G). Food, games, haunted house, DJ music, contests. 844-9027
Franciscan Alliance Foundation, 'Northern Indiana Gala,' Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza, Merrillville, 6 p.m. cocktails, 7 p.m. program, dinner. Benefit for missions program. 661-3401
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Trivia Night,' 6:15 p.m. doors open, K of C hall, Wicker Ave. Must be 21+ to enter. Benefit for food pantry. 708-254-6114
St. Bridget, Hobart, 'Turkey Bingo,' 12:30 p.m., parish center. 942-6441 x109
Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'K of C Wine & Brew Tasting Fundraiser,' 6-9 p.m., parish hall. Food, silent auction, raffle also. 762-8416 or 850-4290
Hammond Rotary Club, 'Theater Production & Auction,' 5:30 p.m. doors open, Towle Theater, Hammond. Benefit for Catherine McAuley Clinic. 937-8780 or towletheater.org
St. Jude House, Crown Point, '20th Anniversary Celebration,' 6 p.m., Patrician Banquet Center, Schererville. Dinner, cocktails, dancing. Roaring '20s theme. stjudehouse.org
Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, 'Drawing for BNI Fall Raffle.' Tickets $10; top prize $20,000. 932-9058 or bishopnoll.org
Andrean HS, Merrillville, 'Fall Play: The 39 Steps,' Oct. 15-16, 7 p.m.; Oct. 17-18, 2 p.m., 7 p.m., St. Basil Theater. 887-5281
St. Mary of the Lake, Gary, 'Chorus Angelorum Concert,' 8 p.m. Free admission. chorusangelorumnwi.org
Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary, 'Autumn Organ Recital: Daniel Pollack,' 3 p.m. Featuring classical, romantic, & modern works. Reception, refreshments follow recital. 882-6079
St. Thomas More, Munster, 'Fatima-Lourdes-Spain Pilgrimage,' March 7-17, 2016. $3,598/person. Led by Fr. Yadron. 836-8610
Franciscan Senior Promise, 'Day Trip to Christmas at Rosewood of Delavan, Wisc.' Fees. 1-800-931-3322
Food & Festival
• Franciscan Senior Promise, 'Lunch Bunches,' Oct. 20, Dante's Restaurant, Highland; Dec. 15, White Rhino Restaurant, Dyer, 1 p.m. For those age 55-older. 1-800-931-3322
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Fall Fish Frys,' Fri., Nov. 6, Dec. 11, 4-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall.
• St. Francis Xavier, Lake Station, 'Parish Bonfire,' Oct. 11, 4 p.m. Includes food. 'Mexican Breakfast & Lunch,' Oct. 25, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Oktoberfest,' Oct. 10, 5-10 p.m., Notre Dame parish lawn. Food, music, German dinners. Portion of proceeds to benefit Catholic Charities. 'Mexican Breakfast,' Oct. 11, 8-11:30 a.m., QAS school gymnasium.
• St. Mary, Kouts, 'Pork Chop Dinner,' 5-7 p.m., parish hall. 766-3519 or 766-3680
• K of C Msgr. Ryder Council 4047, Merrillville, 'Polish Fest Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., St. Andrew the Apostle's Ameling Hall. 769-2833 or 381-4248
• Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, 'Night of Latin Culture,' 6-8 p.m.
K of C Good Shepherd Council, Merrillville, 'Sausage & Kraut Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., Our Lady of Consolation, Vamos Hall. 365-1505
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Women's Guild AYCE Soup & Bread Luncheon,' 11 a.m.-1 p.m., parish hall. Baked goods, jewelry also sold.
St. Mary of the Lake, Gary, 'Rock-tober Fest,' noon-10 p.m. Musical groups, craft beer, food, casino. 938-1373
Immaculate Conception, Hammond FCSLA Br. 452, Whiting K of C, 'Stuffed Cabbage Dinner,' 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Whiting K of C hall. 659-2454 or 659-1168
• K of C Card. Stritch Council 4620, Crown Point, 'AYCE Chili Dinner,' 4:30-7 p.m., St. Mary's Hammes Hall. Hot dogs also. 662-1474
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep Classes in Spanish,' Nov. 7 & 14, all 3-6 p.m., 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
• Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, 'Open Houses,' Nov. 8, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.; Dec. 10, 6-8 p.m. 'Entrance Exams,' Jan. 16, 30, 8 a.m.-noon. Fees. 932-9058 or bishopnoll.org
Sacred Heart, Whiting, 'Quinceanera Formation Session,' 9 a.m.-noon, Rose Room. 659-0023 x105 or 484-6917
Polish-American Cultural Society of NW Ind., 'Meeting,' St. Mary school building, Michigan City, 5 p.m. 464-1369
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Senior Promise Meeting,' Topic: Eating healthy in restaurants. 10 a.m. Open to those age 55-older. 1-800-931-3322
Health & Fitness
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure/Sugar Screenings,' Oct. 18, Nov. 15, Dec. 20, (2016) Jan. 17, Feb. 21, March 20, April 17, May 15, June 19, July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18, Oct. 16, Nov. 20, Dec. 18, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Nov. 29, (2016) Feb. 14, May 29, Sept. 4, Nov. 27, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 'Blood Testing by Healthchek,' Jan. 20, March 2, May 4, Sept. 7, Hammes Hall, door F. Fees. 663-6779
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 5:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Series of Diabetes Courses,' 1-3 p.m. Tues. & 6-8 p.m. Wed. in October, November, December. Fees. 757-6268
• Franciscan Insurance Services, 'Free Medicare Insurance Enrollment Info Sessions,' Oct. 22, Michigan City Public Library, 9:30, 10:30 a.m.; Oct. 28, Valparaiso Public Library, 9:30, 10:30 a.m.; Nov. 20, Marian Education Center, Crown Point, 9:30, 10:30 a.m. 932-2300 x33557
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetes Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-6234 'Program on Coumadin,' Nov. 19, 1-2 p.m. Free. 'Diabetic Screening,' Nov. 4, 9 a.m.-noon, 9235 Broadway, Merrillville. Free. 'Program on Weight-Loss Surgery,' Oct. 12, Nov. 16, 6-8 p.m. 'Smoking Cessation Classes,' Tues., Oct. 13-Dec. 1, 6-8 p.m. conference room 4. Fees. 836-3477
• Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, 'Free Blood Pressure Screenings,' after weekend Masses, Oct. 17-18, Nov.21-22, Dec. 19-20. No appointments necessary.
• American Red Cross, 'Blood Drives,' Oct. 15, Holy Spirit, Winfield, 1:30-6:30 p.m.; Oct. 17, St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.; Oct. 18, Sacred Heart parish center, LaPorte, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Oct. 23, Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City, 8 a.m.-noon. 1-800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Annual Health Fair,' 9 a.m.-noon, social hall. Vendors, health screenings.
St. Catherine Hospital, East Chicago, 'Free Program: Know the 10 Signs of Alzheimer's Disease,' 3:30-5 p.m. Sponsored by Alzheimer's Association. 1-800-272-3900
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
St. Mary, Kouts – 11 a.m.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m. Next Mass, Nov. 7.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m. Living Rosary at grotto after Mass. Next Mass, Nov. 7.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Pro-Life Mass,' third Thurs., 7 p.m.; exposition, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; confessions, 6-6:50 p.m.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Rosary for Life,' third Sun.11:30 a.m. 926-1282
Franciscan St. Anthony Health Auxiliary, Crown Point, 'Holiday Bazaar,' 7 a.m.-4 p.m., Marian Education Center. 757-6347
Oct. 31-Nov. 1
St. Thomas More, Munster, 'Altar & Rosary Society Holiday Bazaar,' STM school gym. 836-5079
Our Lady of Grace, Highland, 'Altar & Rosary Sodality Christmas Bazaar,' 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Nov. 7; 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Nov. 8, OLG school cafeteria (north entrance). Raffle tickets available. 923-0395 or 838-1458
• Worldwide Marriage Encounter, 'Weekend Programs,' Oct. 9-11, Dec.11-13, Elk Grove Village, Ill. 630-577-0778 or wwme-chicagoland.org
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Marian Devotions,' Sun., thru Oct. 18, starting at dusk, Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, east side of parish cemetery. 322-4505 x239 'Bible Study: Unlocking Mysteries of the Bible,' Tues., thru Oct. 27, 7-8:30 p.m., St., Patrick Hall. Fees. 'Bible Study: Biblical Timeline,' Thurs., 10-11:30 a.m. Session 1, now thru Nov. 12 (exc. Oct. 22); Session 2, Jan. 28-March 10, 2016; Session 3, April 7-May 19, 2016. Fees. Signups after Masses. 322-4505 x241 'Bible Study: Book of Isaiah,' Mon. or Wed., thru April 20, 7-8:30 p.m. Fees. 322-1717 or 808-3255
• St. James the Less, Highland, 'Parish Book Club: Rediscover Catholicism,' meetings Oct. 15, 22, 29, 6:30-7:30 p.m. 934-0967
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Journal Writing Group,' 6-week program started Sept. 15, meets 3rd Tues. (ex. Dec.), 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Fees. 'Daytime Retreats,' 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tues., Fri., Sat. 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org
• St. Bridget, Hobart, 'Adult Bible Study: Genesis 1-11,' Wed. mornings. Fees. Bring your Bible.
• Whiting-Robertsdale Faith Enrichment Committee, 'Faith Study Group: Mercy in the Bible,' Tues., thru Nov.17, 6:30-8 p.m., Sacred Heart's Rose Room. Fees for book. 'Prayer Service,' Oct. 18, 3 p.m., St. John the Baptist. Honoring 200 years of Precious Blood order & St. Gaspar del Bufalo, Precious Blood founder. 659-4138
Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, 'Mass of Healing,' 4 p.m. Bishop Hying, principal celebrant. Memorial for loss of a child, miscarriage, stillbirth. 838-5755 or 730-9199
Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima, 'Observance of 98th Anniversary of Fatima Apparitions,' 7-8 p.m., Carmelite Monastery, Munster. 836-8779 or 887-7829
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'A Journey with Mark,' 7-9 p.m., school building, room 8B (use door A). Presenter, Fr. Gerald Schweitzer. Bring your Bible. 663-0044
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Evening of Remembrance,' 7 p.m. Prayer service in memory of miscarriages, stillbirths, and infant deaths.
St. Thomas More, Munster, 'White Mass for Health Care Professionals,' 2 p.m. Bishop Hying, principal celebrant. No RSVP required.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Talk by Bishop Hying: Living Our Faith in Secular America,' 7 p.m., in church. Open to all parishes, all faiths; reception afterward. 464-4831
Catholic Foundation for NW Indiana, '2015 Red Mass,' Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, 8 a.m. Mass, 9 a.m. breakfast & seminar. Offered for legal & financial communities. 769-9292 x290 or catholicfuture.org
Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Prayer for Peace Group,' 7 p.m., in chapel.
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk, doughnuts & coffee afterward.
Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Eucharistic Holy Hour for Vocations,' 6:30 p.m., in church. Presentation by Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration. Open to all; time for questions, refreshments. 872-9196 or qas.org
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Trunk or Treating,' after 5:30 p.m. Mass, parking lot. 464-4831
Office of Youth & Young Adults, 'Grásta Dé! Middle School Youth Ministry Day,' 1-7 p.m., Andrean HS, Merrillville. Open to grades 6-8. Fees. grastade.com
• K of C St. John Paul II Council 16008, Highland, 'Trunk or Treat,' 6-8 p.m., St. James the Less, parish hall. Open to all ages. 776-8773
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• Wounded Healers Grief Support Groups, '2015 Fall Series,' Wed., 7-8:30 p.m., St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• Hospice Franciscan Communities, Crown Point, 'Grief Support Group,' 6 Mon., thru Oct. 19, 2:30-4 p.m., 203 Franciscan Dr. 661-5304
• Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Divorce & Beyond,' Mon., starting Sept. 14, QAS school library, 7 p.m. Ten sessions. 874-9663
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Bereavement Group Sessions,' Mon., Oct. 12, 19, 26, Nov. 2, 9, 7 p.m., ministry room of building 2. 926-1282
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Bereavement Group,' 7 sessions running Sept. 24 thru Nov. 5, 7 p.m., meeting room of St. Patrick Hall. 322-4505 x241
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Divorce & Beyond,' weekly sessions, Mon., thru Jan. 11, 2016, 6:30-8 p.m., St. Agnes Center. 663-0044
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Divorce & Beyond,' 10-week series, began Sept. 30, 7-9 p.m., social hall. Fees. 464-4831
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City, 'Diabetes Support Group,' third Mon., 5 p.m., Coolspring Health Center.