Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Tamale Sales,' Orders (by dozen) taken after Masses Sept. 5-6. Delivery Sept. 12-13.
Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Altar & Garden Guild Bake Sale.' Benefit for autumn garden supplies.
Shrine of Christ's Passion, St. John, 'Annual Shrine Golf Classic,' 11 a.m. registration, White Hawk CC, Crown Point. 765-1760 or ShrineGolfClassic.com
Sisters of St. Benedict, Ferdinand, Ind., 'Ferdinand Folk Fest Fondo.' Series of cycling events to benefit sisters' work. ferdinandfolkfestival.com
St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Food Pantry Benefit Concert,' 4-7 p.m. Casa Maria Hall. Benefit for parish food pantry. Wine tasting also. 865-5482
St. Vincent de Paul District Council of Gary, 'Annual Friends of the Poor Walk,' Lemon Lake County Park, Crown Point & Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, Valparaiso, 9 a.m. registration, 10 a.m. walk begins, both sites. fopwalk.org
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'St. Agnes Gala,' 6-10 p.m., Valparaiso Country Club. 464-4831
Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Tea Fundraiser: Autumn Reflections,' 2-4:30 p.m., Our Lady of Perpetual Help social hall, Hammond. 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org
Franciscan Alliance Foundation, 'Northern Indiana Gala,' Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza, Merrillville, 6 p.m. cocktails, 7 p.m. program, dinner. Benefit for missions program. 661-3401
Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'K of C Wine & Brew Tasting Fundraiser,' 6-9 p.m., parish hall. 762-8416 or 850-4290
• St. Thomas More, Munster, 'Fatima-Lourdes-Spain Pilgrimage,' March 7-17, 2016. $3,598/person. Led by Fr. Yadron. 836-8610
• Franciscan Senior Promise, 'Day Trips,' Sept. 15, Notre Dame & South Bend Legends; Oct. 6, Historic Pullman Neighborhood; Dec. 4, Christmas at Rosewood of Delavan, Wisc. Fees vary per trip. 1-800-931-3322
ARCS of St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Trip to Barrington, Ill.' Includes lunch, visit at tourism center in Hammond. Fees. 662-2236 or 942-6211
Food & Festival
• Franciscan Senior Promise, 'Lunch Bunches,' Oct. 20, Dante's Restaurant, Highland; Dec. 15, White Rhino Restaurant, Dyer, 1 p.m. For those age 55-older. 1-800-931-3322
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Fall Fish Frys,' Fri., Sept. 4, Oct. 2, Nov. 6, Dec. 11, 4-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Parish Festival,' Sept. 5, 4-9 p.m.; Sept. 6 (Polish Day), 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Food, games, beer garden, raffles. 932-0204
• St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Parish Picnic,' noon-5 p.m. Food, games, raffles, car show. 844-6374
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Mexican Independence Day Celebration,' 6 p.m. bilingual Mass, followed by food & fellowship in church basement.
St. Joseph the Worker, Gary, 'Gourmet Spaghetti Dinner,' 11 a.m.-1 p.m., parish hall. Choice of sauces. Raffle. 688-6558
K of C Msgr. Hoffmann Council 13003, Merrillville, 'Pork Chop Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., St. Joan of Arc parish hall. Hot dog platter also. 508-0537 or 980-5155
St. Ann of the Dunes, Beverly Shores, 'Annual Oktoberfest,' 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Food, music, children's activities, under 3 tents. 465-9224
St. Casimir, Hammond, 'Parish's 125th Jubilee Celebration,' 4 p.m. Mass, followed by open house. 931-2589
St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Michigan City, 'Annual Chicken Dinner,' Elks Lodge 432, Hwy. 20, Michigan City. 878-1835 or 871-2725
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• Office of Intercultural Ministries, 'Marriage Prep Classes in Spanish,' Nov. 7 & 14, all 3-6 p.m., 3814 Grand Blvd., East Chicago. 397-2125
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health, Hammond-Dyer, 'Senior Promise Meetings,' Sept. 10, Financial Checkup, Dyer; Oct. 8, Medicare Options, Hammond; Nov. 12, Eating Healthy in Restaurants, Dyer, all at 10 a.m. Open to those age 55-older 1-800-931-3322
• Polish-American Cultural Society of NW Ind., 'Meetings,' Sept. 9, Portage Public Library; Sept. 23, St. Mary school building, Michigan City, both at 5 p.m. Meeting Sept. 23 features Polish paper cutting craft demonstration. 464-1369
• Diocese of Gary, 'Public Meetings on Proposed 2017 Diocesan Synod,' Sept. 11, 6:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 12, 9-11 a.m., Our Lady of Consolation's Vamos Hall, Merrillville.
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso, 'HOPE Career Networking,' second Tues., 7-9 p.m., parish hall. Free; open to all.
Garden Chalet Banquets, Worth, Ill., 'Midwest Slovak Pastoral Seminar.' Fees. 773-763-0810 or 708-387-7812
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Bereavement Social: Sharing Photos,' 1:30-3:30 p.m., room 2. 924-2323 or 924-4708
Health & Fitness
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15, Dec. 20, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Sept. 6, Nov. 29, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 663-6779
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 5:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Zumba Fitness Classes,' Tues., 6-7 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 742-6026 'Gentle Yoga,' Thurs., Aug. 6-Sept. 10, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Fees. 865-1531
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Zumba Gold Classes,' Wed., 12:30 p.m., parish hall. For all fitness levels. Fees. 947-0509
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Mindful Chair Exercises,' 31, 8-9 a.m., St. Patrick Hall. 'Arthritis Prevention Seminar,' Aug. 25, 7 p.m., St. Patrick Hall. 322-4505 x241
• Franciscan Alliance Northern Indiana Region, 'Lung Screenings,' sites in Chesterton, Crown Point, Dyer, Hammond, Michigan City, Munster, Valparaiso. Fees. 1-855-472-1659 'Free Child Car Seat Safety Clinics,' Aug. 28, Sept. 25, Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City; Sept. 11, Chesterton Health & Emergency Center, all noon-2 p.m. 769-8962
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Baby Care Class,' Sept. 10, 7-9:30 p.m. Fees. 'Infant CPR & Choking Class,' Sept. 17, 6 & 8 p.m. Fees. 'Safe Sitter,' Sept. 11, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Fees. 757-6368
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City, 'CPR Courses,' Sept. 9, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness, Chesterton. 983-9832 x0 'Infant Care Class,' Sept. 25, 6 p.m. for class, tours at 5:30 p.m. 1-800-931-3322
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Hammond, Dyer, 'Free Prostate Cancer Screenings,' Sept. 10, Hammond campus; Sept. 24, Dyer, both 5-7 p.m. 1-800-931-3322
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Diabetes Management Classes,' various sites, dates. 947-6234 'Program on Coumadin,' Nov. 19, 1-2 p.m. Free. 'Blood Profile Screening,' Sept. 10, 8-10:30 a.m. Fees. 'Diabetic Screening,' Sept. 2, Oct. 7, Nov. 4, 9 a.m.-noon, 9235 Broadway, Merrillville. Free. 'Program on Weight-Loss Surgery,' Sept. 21, Oct. 12, Nov. 16, 6-8 p.m. 'Smoking Cessation Classes,' Tues., Oct. 13-Dec. 1, 6-8 p.m. conference room 4. Fees. 836-3477
• American Red Cross, 'Blood Drives,' Sept. 4, K of C Council 1347 at St. Bridget gym, Hobart, 12:30-6:30 p.m.; Sept. 14, St. Paul, Valparaiso, social hall, noon-6 p.m. 1-800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Annual Health Fair,' social hall.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
St. Mary, Kouts, 'St. Mary's Soup Bowl,' 3rd Tues., 4:30-6:30 p.m., parish hall. Free food, fellowship; open to all. 766-3680
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m. Next Mass, Sept. 5.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m. Living Rosary at grotto after Mass. Next Masses, Sept. 5, Oct. 3, Nov. 7.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Flea Market,' 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Vendors sought. 616-5820, 880-7953, or 932-0204
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Rummage, Bake, & Pierogi Sale,' Sept. 25, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sept. 26, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted Sept. 23, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sept. 24, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. 924-5783 or 227-9283
Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Trash & Treasure Sale.' 879-2541 or 879-8053
• Worldwide Marriage Encounter, 'Weekend Programs,' Oct. 9-11, Dec.11-13, Elk Grove Village, Ill. 630-577-0778 or wwme-chicagoland.org
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Marian Devotions,' Sun., thru Oct. 18, starting at dusk, Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, east side of parish cemetery. 322-4505 x239 'Bible Study: Unlocking Mysteries of the Bible,' Tues., Sept. 8-Oct. 27, 7-8:30 p.m., St., Patrick Hall. Fees. 'Bible Study: Biblical Timeline,' Thurs., 10-11:30 a.m. Session 1, Sept. 3-Nov. 12 (exc. Oct. 22); Session 2, Jan. 28-March 10, 2016; Session 3, April 7-May 19, 2016. Fees. Signups after Masses. 322-4505 x241 'Bible Study: Book of Isaiah,' Mon. or Wed., Sept. 18 thru April 20, 7-8:30 p.m. Fees. 322-1717 or 808-3255
• St. James the Less, Highland, 'Parish Book Club: Rediscover Catholicism,' orientation session Sept. 10, 7-7:30 p.m.; meetings Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 6:30-7:30 p.m. 934-0967
• Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima, 'All-Night Vigil,' Sept. 4-5, starting with 7 p.m. Mass, Carmelite Monastery, Munster. 'Observance of 98th Anniversary of Fatima Apparitions,' Sept. 13, Oct. 13, 7-8 p.m., Carmelite Monastery. 836-8779 or 887-7829
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Journal Writing Group,' 6-week program starts Sept. 15, meets 3rd Tues. (ex. Dec.), 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Fees. 'Daytime Retreats,' 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tues., Fri., Sat. 398-5047 or bethanyretreathouse.org
Catholic Foundation for NW Indiana, '2015 Red Mass,' Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, 8 a.m. Mass, 9 a.m. breakfast & seminar. Offered for legal & financial communities. 769-9292 x290 or catholicfuture.org
Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Family Rosary,' last Sunday of the month, 7 p.m.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Prayer for Peace Group,' 7 p.m., in chapel.
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'Eucharistic Adoration,' 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., religious education building chapel. Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:30 p.m.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Charismatic Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
Queen of All Saints, Michigan City, 'Men's Rosary & Doughnuts,' 7:30 a.m., in church. Brief talk, doughnuts & coffee afterward.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Tues., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office building.
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• Wounded Healers Grief Support Groups, '2015 Fall Series,' Wed., started Aug. 26, 7-8:30 p.m., St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• Hospice Franciscan Communities, Crown Point, 'Grief Support Group,' 6 Mon., Sept. 14 thru Oct. 19, 2:30-4 p.m., 203 Franciscan Dr. 661-5304
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Bereavement Group Sessions,' Mon., Oct. 12, 19, 26, Nov. 2, 9, 7 p.m., ministry room of building 2. 926-1282
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Grief Support,' 7 sessions starting Sept. 24, 7 p.m., in church. 322-4505 x241
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Divorce & Beyond,' weekly sessions, Mon., Oct. 5 thru Jan. 11, 2016, 6:30-8 p.m., St. Agnes Center. 663-0044
St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010