Diocesan Peace & Social Justice Commission, 'Fair Trade Festival,' May 3-4, after Masses, St. Teresa of Avila, Valparaiso. Sale of Fair Trade foods, crafts. Open to public. 548-2970 or 312-217-7809
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Spring Fling Gala,' Halls of St. George, Schererville. Dinner, dancing, auctions. 365-5678 or stjohnparish.org
• Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, '33rd Annual Emporium,' 6:30 p.m. cocktails, 7 p.m. doors open, at school. Buffet dinner, dancing, raffles, silent/live auctions. $100/person. 932-9058 or bishopnoll.org
• St. Michael the Archangel School, Schererville, 'Passport to Our Heritage,' 5:30 p.m.-midnight, school gym. Entertainment, refreshments, silent & live auctions. 322-4531
• St. Mary Catholic Comm. School, Crown Point, 'Art from the Heart,' 6:30-10:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. Local artwork featured. Admission fee. 663-0676
• St. Bridget, Hobart, 'Luncheon & Style Show: Color Me Spring,' 11 a.m.-4 p.m., parish center. Basket raffles. Advance tickets only. 942-6441
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mad Hatter Tea & Garden Party,' 1 p.m., parish hall. Benefit for roof replacement. Food, entertainment, raffles. 844-3438
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Casino Royale,' 6:10 p.m. to midnight, parish hall. Gambling, raffles, refreshments.
• St. Edward, Lowell, 'Mother's Day Tea,' 2 p.m., school gym. Benefit for Carmelite Home. Donations of clothing, toilettes, money accepted.
• St. Matthias, Crown Point, 'Women's Club Crazy Bunco,' 11 a.m. lunch, noon games. Must be 18+ to play. Tickets from parish office. 663-2201
St. Joseph's Carmelite Home, East Chicago, 'Benefit Centennial Dinner,' Halls of St. George, Schererville. Speaker, Cardinal Francis George. Tickets $150. 659-0967 or 853-9782
St. Mary, Griffith, 'Men's Club Golf Outing,' noon, Scherwood Club, Schererville. 924-3929 or 924-6077
Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 'Marquette Mulligan Golf Outing,' noon shotgun start, Long Beach CC. $180/golfer. Includes food, raffles. 210-5406 or marquette-hs.org
St. Paul Catholic School, Valparaiso, 'Deacon Jack McGuckin Golf Outing,' 11 a.m., The Course at Aberdeen. $125/golfer. Silent auction. 246-2516 or marquette-hs.org
Andrean HS, Merrillville, 'Annual 59er Classic Golf Outing.' More details TBA.
Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary, 'Spring Recital: Dr. Stephen Schnurr," 3 p.m. 50th anniversary of Casavant organ. Reception follows recital. 882-6079
Food & Festival
• Polish Women's Alliance, 'Mother's Day Luncheon,' May 10, noon, East Chicago K of C hall. 398-9069
• St. Francis Xavier, Lake Station, 'Mother's Day Breakfast,' May 4, 8:30-11 a.m. "Father's Day Breakfast,' June 8, 8:30-11:30 a.m. 952-8626 or francis-xavier-ls.net
• St. Casimir School, Hammond, 'Spring Fest,' May 16-17, 6 p.m.-midnight; May 18, noon-8 p.m. Ethnic music & foods, games, silent auction, kids' room, beer garden, raffle.
K of C Msgr. Hoffmann Council, Merrillville, 'Pork Chop Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., St. Joan of Arc hall. Carryouts available. 942-8378 or 942-3320
St. Mary, Kouts, 'Pork Chop Dinner,' 5-7 p.m., church hall. Carryouts available. 766-3519 or 766-3680
FCSLA Branch 81, 'Spring Luncheon,' 1 p.m., St. John the Baptist's parochial center, Whiting. 659-3238 or 659-4546
Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 'Registration, Course Selection for Incoming Freshmen,' 5-8 p.m., Scholl Center library. 873-1325
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'ARCS Seniors Group Meeting,' parish hall. Program, refreshments.
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Hammond, 'Senior Promise Meeting,' 10 a.m. Topic, medication safety & drug interactions. 1-800-931-3322
Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 'Freshman Placement Exam,' 9 a.m., Scholl Center computer lab. 210-4505
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Catholic Charities, 'Marriage Prep,' Aug. 2, 9, 16, 9 a.m.-noon. Fees. 886-3549 or 765-1396
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
Health & Fitness
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' May 18, June 15, July 20, Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16, Dec. 21, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drive,' May 11, Aug. 31, Nov. 30, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 663-6779 'Healthchek Blood Testing,' May 21, 6-8 a.m., Hammes Hall (use door F). Fees. 689-1044
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Series of Diabetes Courses,' April, May, June, 1-3 p.m. Tues., 6-8 p.m. Wed. Fees. 757-6268
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer-Hammond, 'Diabetes Education Classes,' ongoing basis. Four, two-hour sessions. Fees. 933-2144
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'PAD Screenings.' Fees. 947-6085 'Free Program: Sinus Treatments,' April 22, 6 p.m. 'Free Symposium: Stroke,' May 29, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., west auditorium, conference rooms. 836-3477
• St. Catherine Hospital, East Chicago, 'Diabetes Education Classes.' 392-7786 'Silver Sneakers Fitness Program.' For ages 65-plus. 392-7086 'Free Class: Baby Safety,' May 14, 5:30-7 p.m., cafeteria conference room. 836-3477
• Franciscan Alliance, 'Programs on Sinus Problems,' April 23, 30, 6 p.m., Coolspring Health Center, Michigan City; Franciscan Omni Health Center, Chesterton. 800-931-3322
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' May 4, after Sunday Masses, in social hall. 'Free Community Health Fair,' May 17, 9 a.m.-noon, school gym. 464-7000
• American Red Cross, 'Blood Drives,' May 1, St. Matthias, Crown Point, 12:30-6:30 p.m.; May 12, Marian Council K of C hall, Cedar Lake, 2:30-6:30 p.m.; May 12, St. Teresa of Avila, Valparaiso, 1-7 p.m. 1-800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Hammond, 'Donate Life Planting Ceremony,' 12:30 p.m., meet in north lobby.
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Heartland Blood Drive,' 3-7 p.m., parish hall. 924-4220
St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'Free Blood Pressure Screenings,' first Thurs., 10-11 a.m., H&R Spectrum. 836-3477 or comhs.org Also, 'Share Your Grief Support Group,' first Thurs., 4-5:30 p.m., conference room 4. 947-6187
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' after 7:30/10:30 a.m. Masses first Sun. of each month.
Franciscan Community Services Adult Day Services, 'Free Blood Pressure Readings,' St. Anthony campus, Crown Point, first Mon., 9-11 a.m.; Cloister in the Woods Banquet Center, Munster, first Mon., 2-3 p.m.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7:30 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Eliz. Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. #2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:40 a.m. Holy Hour after Mass.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Free Program: Taking Conscience Seriously,' 1:15-3 p.m., social hall. Speaker, Gerard Bradley. Light lunch. 464-4831 x235
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Rummage Sale,' May 2-3, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., assembly hall. Donation drop-offs April 26, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. 902-2032 or 670-1765
• St. James the Less, Highland, 'Rummage & Bake Sale,' May 16, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; May 17, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Dropoffs May 14-15, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. 864-7438 or 924-5783
• St. Matthias, Crown Point, 'Spring Garage Sale,' May 22, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; May 23, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., parish hall. Donations accepted May 15-20, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. 663-2201
Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Altar & Rosary Society Spring Craft Show,' 9 a.m.-3 p.m. 759-1169
•Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Bible Study: Judges, 1&2 Samuel,' April 29; May 6, 13, 20, 7-8:30 p.m., OL Lourdes Friary. Presenter, Fr. Sergius Wroblewski, OFM.
• Salvatorian Fathers, Merrillville, 'Visitation of Icon of OL of Czestochowa,' April 26-27. 884-0714 or salvatorians.us
• Diocesan Cursillo Movement, 'Cursillo Weekends,' May 1-4 (men), May 15-18 (women), Spiritual Life Center, Hammond. 508-0537
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Daytime Retreats,' 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tues., Fri., Sat. 398-5047
St. John the Baptist, Whiting, 'Divine Mercy Prayer Service,' 3 p.m.
Holy Spirit, Winfield, 'National Day of Prayer Program,' 7 p.m., Speaker, Joe Faulstich. All churches welcome.
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'May Crowning,' following 11:30 a.m. Mass, on grounds adjacent to The Shrine of Christ's Passion. Laudate Concert to follow, 3 p.m. stjohnparish.org
St. Edward, Lowell, 'Daughters of Isabella Evening of Reflection,' 4:30 p.m., in church; potluck dinner follows, school gym.
Catholic Charities, 'Annual Wedding Anniversary Mass & Reception,' 4 p.m., Holy Angels Cathedral, Gary. 886-3549 x331
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. #4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Wed., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office.
• Holy Trinity (Croatian), East Chicago, 'Free Parent Support Group,' Mon/Thurs, 10 a.m.-noon. 886-1111
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Wounded Healers Grief Support Groups, 'Spring-Summer Series,' Wed., begins April 30, 7-8:30 p.m., St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921
Hospice Franciscan Communities, 'Grief Recovery Outreach Program,' Tues., April 22-June 24, 5-7 p.m. St. Anthony Assisted Living, Holy Family Center. No admittance after first 3 weeks. 661-5326
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Caregiver Support Group,' 2 p.m. Open to all. 365-3898 or 888-303-0180
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Bariatric Surgery Support Group,' first Tues., 6 p.m., Reginald Board Room.
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Hammond, 'Parkinson's Disease Support Group,' first Sat., 2-4 p.m.
Omni Health & Fitness, Schererville, 'Rehabilitation Club,' first Thurs., 3 p.m.
Franciscan Hammond Clinic, Munster, 'Diabetes Support Group,' first Thurs., 6 p.m.