• St. Ann of the Dunes, Beverly Shores, 'Book Giveaway,' Aug. 9, after 6 p.m. Mass; Aug. 10, 8 a.m.-noon. Free-will donation for Haiti mission fund.
Sharing Meadows, Rolling Prairie, 'Leprechaun Hunt,' noon-5 p.m. 778-2585 or leprechaunhunt.com
Notre Dame School, Michigan City, 'Pancake Breakfast,' before & after Masses. Benefit for class trip to Washington, D.C.
Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 'Blazer Block Party,' 5-6 p.m. open house; 6-8 p.m. dinner; 6-10 p.m. dancing, cash bar. 210-4506
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'ARCS Trip to Cantigny Park & 1st Infantry Div. Military Museum, Wheaton, Ill.' 789-4725
Food & Festival
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Fun Festival,' Aug. 1-2, 5-11 p.m. 322-4505
• St. Mary, East Chicago, 'Parish Festival,' Aug. 1-3.
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Western Days Festival,' Aug. 14-17.
• St. Francis Xavier, Lake Station, 'Parish Picnic,' Aug. 10, 1 p.m. 'Fall Festival,' Sept. 6, 5 p.m.
• All Saints, Hammond, 'Parish Festival,' Aug. 30, 4-9 p.m.; Aug. 31 (Polish Day), 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
St. Stanislaus, East Chicago, 'Parish Festival,' noon-10 p.m. 398-2341
Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Family Festival,' 5-11 p.m. 872-4844
St. Stanislaus Kostka, Michigan City, 'Chicken Dinner,' noon-1:30 p.m., church hall.
Office of Religious Education, 'DRE Summer Professional Meeting,' 9 a.m., Our Lady of Consolation's Vamos Hall, Merrillville. 769-9292 x230
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso, 'HOPE Career Networking,' second Tues., 7-9 p.m., parish hall. Free; open to all.
St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Scrapbooking & Papercrafting Event,' 9 a.m.-9 p.m., school gym. Fees. 308-4802 or stjohnparish.org/cfi
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Catholic Charities, 'Marriage Prep,' Aug. 2, 9, 16, 9 a.m.-noon, Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven. Fees. 886-3549 or 765-1396
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• Our Lady of Grace, Highland, 'Theology on Tap,' Aug. 3, 6:30 p.m., OLG cafeteria. garyontap.com
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Theology on Tap,' Aug. 6, 7 p.m., Crown Brewing. garyontap.com
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer-Hammond, 'Senior Promise Meetings,' Aug. 14, Interpreting Lab Results, Dyer; Sept. 11, Home Fire Safety, Hammond; Oct. 9, Medicare Updates, Dyer; Nov. 13, Flu & Other Infections, Hammond, all at 10 a.m. Open to those age 55+. 800-931-3322
Health & Fitness
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16, Dec. 21, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drive,' Aug. 31, Nov. 30, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 663-6779
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Series of Diabetes Courses,' August, September, 1-3 p.m. Tues., 6-8 p.m. Wed. Fees. 757-6268 'Free Program: Lymphedema,' Aug. 26, noon, Breast Care Center. 757-6368
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer-Hammond, 'Diabetes Education Classes,' ongoing basis. Four, two-hour sessions. Fees. 933-2144
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'PAD Screenings.' Fees. 947-6085
• St. Catherine Hospital, East Chicago, 'Diabetes Education Classes.' 392-7786 'Silver Sneakers Fitness Program.' For ages 65-plus. 392-7086 'Back to School Fair,' Aug. 1, 3-6 p.m., Highland office, 8141 Kennedy. 'Coronary Health Appraisal,' Aug. 7, 8-10:30 a.m. Fees. 'Free Blood Pressure Screening,' Aug. 14, noon-1 p.m., Whiting Public Library. 'PAD Screening,' Aug. 14, 2-5 p.m. Cardiac Rehab Dept. Fees. 'Free Bone Density Screening,' Aug. 20, 9-11 a.m. 'Teen Childbirth Prep Classes,' Aug. 23-24, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Free; for ages 13-19. 'Free Class: Baby Safety,' Sept. 10, 5:30-7 p.m. 'Physician Seminar: Immunizations,' Aug. 13, 5-7 p.m., POB conference room. 836-3477 'Free 5-Part Series on Strokes.' Call 392-7641 for start dates.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 5:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• American Red Cross, 'Blood Drives,' Aug. 7, St. Matthias, Crown Point, 12:30-6:30 p.m.; Aug. 7, St. Mary, Kouts, 2-7 p.m.; Andrean HS, Merrillville, 12:30-6:30 p.m. 1-800-733-2767
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7:30 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Eliz. Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m. Next Mass, Aug. 2.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m. Living Rosary after Mass. Next Mass, Aug. 2.
• Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville, 'Rummage Sale,' Aug. 1, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; Aug. 2, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
St. Adalbert, Whiting, 'Rummage Sale,' 9 a.m.-1 p.m., parish hall. 659-4466
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Daytime Retreats,' 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tues., Fri., Sat. 398-5047
• Worldwide Marriage Encounter, 'Encounter Weekends,' Aug. 8-11, Oct. 10-12, both at Burr Ridge, Ill. 630-577-0778 or wwmejoliet.org
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Mary: 8-Week Bible Study,' Tues., Sept. 23-Nov. 11, noon-2 p.m., Sept. 23-Nov. 25, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Video-based series. Fees due by Sept. 5. 762-4858
• All Saints, Hammond, 'Mass in Polish Language,' 1 p.m. 932-0204
• Office of Hispanic Ministry, 'Migrant Ministry Mass,' 4 p.m., Herr Farm, Lowell. 397-2125
Shrine of World Rosary of Peace, Knox, 'Blessed Mother's Birthday Party,' 2 p.m. Speaker, Fr. Ted Nordquist. Refreshments. Bring your own lawn chair.
Office of Religious Education, 'Annual Catechist Retreat,' 2-6:30 p.m., Carmelite Shrine, Munster. Fees. Register online at dcgary.org. 769-9292 x230
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Anointing of the Sick,' 2 p.m.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Wed., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office.
• Holy Trinity (Croatian), East Chicago, 'Free Parent Support Group,' Mon/Thurs, 10 a.m.-noon. 886-1111
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
Wounded Healers Grief Support Groups, 'Fall Series,' Wed., to begin Aug. 27, 7-8:30 p.m., St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Parkinson's Disease Support Group,' second Mon., 2-4 p.m., third Mon., 7-9 p.m., Marian Education Center. Also, 'Free Blood Pressure Screenings,' second Tues., 9-11 a.m., Heart Institute. 757-6141
Franciscan Hammond Clinic, 'Weight Management,' second Mon., 6:30 p.m.
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City, 'Bariatric Surgery Support Group,' second Tues., 5 p.m., physician conference room.