• K of C Councils 3631, 12177, 'Kelly Miller Circus,' Aug. 30, 2 & 6:30 p.m.; Aug. 31, 2 & 5 p.m., St. Michael the Archangel church grounds, Schererville. 322-4505 or kellymillercircus.com
• Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 'Mums Sale,' orders due Sept. 5. Pickup Sept. 12, 3-6 p.m., Marquette Mansion. Benefit for school programs. 210-4506
St. Mary Catholic Community School, Crown Point, 'Annual Golf Outing,' noon, Youche CC. 629-5566
• Bishop Noll Institute, Hammond, 'Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction,' 4-7 p.m., BNI cafeteria. Benefit for injured Noll student. 932-9058
• St. Jude House, 'Summer Wine Down,' 6-9 p.m., Patrician Banquet Center, Schererville. 662-7066 x15
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Men's Club Golf Outing,' Forest Park, Valparaiso. $60/golfer. Signups after Masses thru Sept. 7. 617-1851
District Council, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, 'Friends of the Poor Walk,' 9 a.m., Lemon Lake County Park, Crown Point; TalTree Arboretum, Valparaiso. Benefit for local SVdP conferences. fopwalk.org
• St. Catherine of Siena, Hammond, 'Crazy Bunco,' 1:30 p.m. doors open, 2 p.m. food served, 3 p.m. game starts. Food, raffles, prizes. 844-8280
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point Auxiliary, 'Amish Bakery Fundraiser,' 8:30 a.m., hospital lobby. 663-6805
St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Fun Run/Walk,' 8:30 a.m. registration, 9 a.m. 5K run, followed by 1-mile walk, south side of church. Benefit for church, school. stmichaels-parish.org
St. Paul Catholic School, Valparaiso, 'Oktoberfest,' 5-9 p.m. Artisans, crafts, dinners, games, petting zoo. 462-3374
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Casino Royale Vegas Night,' parish hall. 924-4220
St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'ARCS Trip to Cantigny Park & 1st Infantry Div. Military Museum, Wheaton, Ill.' 789-4725
St. Thomas More, Munster, 'Pilgrimage to England, Scotland,' April 13-24, 2015. $4,598/person. 836-8610 or stm-church.com
Food & Festival
• All Saints, Hammond, 'Parish Festival,' Aug. 30, 4-9 p.m.; Aug. 31 (Polish Day), 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Oktoberfest,' Oct. 3, 5-9 p.m.; Oct. 4-5, noon-9 p.m., 93rd & Wicker. Ethnic food, music, beer garden. Free admission. stjohnoktoberfest
K of C Good Shepherd Council, Merrillville, 'Roast Pork Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., Our Lady of Consolation's Vamos Hall. Hot dogs also; carryouts available. 365-1505
St. Francis Xavier, Lake Station, 'Fall Festival,' 5-10 p.m.
Sacred Heart, Whiting, 'Mexican Dinner,' 4-8 p.m., Rose Room. Open to all.
K of C Msgr. Hoffmann Council, Merrillville, 'Pork Chop Dinner,' 4-7 p.m., St. Joan of Arc's parish hall. Hot dogs also; carryouts available. 942-8378 or 765-9083
Our Lady of Grace, Highland, 'Presentation: Human Trafficking,' 4 p.m., OLG school cafeteria. Open to all.
St. James the Less, Highland, 'Compassionate Friends in Grief Meeting,' 1:30-3:30 p.m., room 2. Speaker, Konnie Kuiper. 924-4708 or 924-2323
Offices of Hispanic Ministry, Pastoral Councils, 'Leadership Symposium,' 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville. Main speakers, Bishop Melczek, Fr. Robin Ryan, CP. Register online, dcgaryorg. 769-9292 x280 or 397-2125
• St. Maria Goretti, Dyer, 'Acrylic Painting Classes,' Tues., 1-3 p.m., Casa Maria Hall. Fees. 865-5482
• Young Adult Catholic Outreach Ministry, '2nd Friday Fellowship,' various sites, activities. dgyoungadult.com
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer-Hammond, 'Senior Promise Meetings,' Sept. 11, Basic Life Saving Skills, Hammond; Oct. 9, Medicare Updates, Dyer; Nov. 13, Infection Control, Hammond, all at 10 a.m. Open to those age 55+. 800-931-3322
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Valparaiso, 'HOPE Career Networking,' second Tues., 7-9 p.m., parish hall. Free; open to all.
Health & Fitness
• St. Mary, Crown Point, 'Blood Pressure Screenings,' Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16, Dec. 21, after all Masses, St. Agnes Center. 'Foresters Blood Drives,' Aug. 31, Nov. 30, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Hammes Hall. 663-6779
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Series of Diabetes Courses,' September, 1-3 p.m. Tues., 6-8 p.m. Wed. Fees. 757-6268 'Baby Care Class,' Sept. 11, Oct. 9, 7-9:30 p.m. Fees. 'Safe Sitter Course,' Sept. 20, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Marian Education Center. Fees. 'Breastfeeding Class,' Oct. 7 or 8. Fees. 757-6368 'Birth Doula Training,' Oct. 23-25. 757-5754
• Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City, 'CPR Classes,' 5:30-9:30 p.m., Chesterton Omni. 983-9832 x0 'Breastfeeding Class,', Sept. 8, 11 a.m.; Oct. 13, 6:30 p.m. 'Infant Care Class,' Sept. 26, Oct. 10, 6 p.m. 'Preparing for Childbirth,' Sept. 19, Oct. 3, 5:30-9 p.m. 877-1610 'Diabetes Group Classes,' Coolspring Health Center. 861-8160
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer-Hammond, 'Diabetes Education Classes,' ongoing basis. Fees. 933-2144 'Free Prostate Cancer Screenings,' Sept. 11, Hammond campus; Sept 25, Dyer campus, both 5-7 p.m. 931-3322
• St. Mary Medical Center, Hobart, 'PAD Screenings.' Fees. 947-6085
• St. Catherine Hospital, East Chicago, 'Diabetes Education Classes.' 392-7786 'Silver Sneakers Fitness Program.' For ages 65-plus. 392-7086 'Free Class: Baby Safety,' Sept. 10, 5:30-7 p.m. 836-3477 'Free 5-Part Series on Strokes.' Call 392-7641 for start dates.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'YogaFit Classes,' Tues., 5:30 p.m., in chandelier room. 'Chair Yoga,' Wed., 8:45 a.m., bldg. 2. 926-3495
• American Red Cross, 'Blood Drives,' Sept. 4, St. Matthias, Crown Point, 12:30-6:30 p.m.; Sept. 9, K of C Marian Council, Cedar Lake, 2:30-6:30 p.m.; Sept. 12, Marquette Catholic HS, Michigan City, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.; Sept. 15, St. John Kanty, Rolling Prairie, 1-6 p.m. 1-800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org
Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness, Schererville, 'Nurse on Wellness Series: Childhood Obesity,' 6-10 a.m. 865-6969
Franciscan Alliance Spirit of Women, 'Listen Up, Ladies," 9-11:30 a.m., Briar Ridge CC, Schererville. Breakfast, screenings, health topics.
Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Heartland Blood Drive,' noon-4 p.m., classroom F. 864-2037
• Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness, Schererville, 'Anyone Can Do 5K Walk/Run,' 8 a.m. start. 865-6969 x3030 or 3020
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Health Fair,' 9 a.m.-noon, SJE school gym. Free screenings available.
Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'St. Clare's Kitchen,' Tues., 5-6 p.m., basement of church. Sponsored by Secular Franciscans.
Missionaries of Charity, Gary, 'Divine Mercy Soup Kitchen,' M-T-W-F-Sat, 9:30 a.m., former St. Mark convent, 509 W. Ridge Rd.
Ss. Monica and Luke, Gary, 'Soup Kitchen,' Fri., noon-1 p.m., parish hall.
St. Joseph, Dyer, 'Helping Hands Food Pantry,' open 3rd Wed., 10 a.m.-noon, 6-7:30 p.m. Serving residents of Dyer, Schererville, St. John; bring two proofs of residency. 865-2271
St. Joseph, Hammond, 'St. Joseph Soup Kitchen,' lower level of church, weekdays, noon-1 p.m.
St. Michael Respect Life Group, Schererville, 'Baby Items Needed.' Includes cribs, mattresses, high chairs, car seats, and clothing sizes newborn to 2. 365-5355, 865-0217 or 365-8192
'Winfield Resale Shoppe,' off Randolph St. Open Th-F-Sat, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sponsored by Holy Spirit, Four Seasons Methodist, Cross of Christ Lutheran; St. Eliz. Seton, Valparaiso.
All Saints, Hammond, 'Thrift Shop,' open T-Th, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Donations accepted.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Table of Plenty Free Dinner,' Fri., 4:30-6 p.m., Chapel Hall (bldg. 2).
St. Teresa of Avila Student Center, Valparaiso, 'Café Manna,' Thurs., 4:30-6:30 p.m.
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Clothing Center for Those in Need,' M/T/W, 1-4 p.m.; Th/Sat, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 462-0074
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Pro-Life Mass,' 8 a.m. Next Mass, Sept. 6.
• St. Stephen, Martyr, Merrillville, 'Respect Life Mass,' 9 a.m. Reconciliation, 8:30 a.m. Living Rosary after Mass; Holy Hour stating in Dec. Next Masses, Sept. 6, Oct. 4, Nov. 1, Dec. 6.
Catholic Charities, 'Rachel's Vineyard Retreat.' For post-abortion healing. All inquiries confidential. rachelsvineyard.org
• St. James the Less, Highland, 'Rummage, Bake, & Pierogi Sale,' Sept. 26, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sept. 27, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Dropoff dates Sept. 24-25. 924-5783
• Notre Dame, Michigan City, 'Trash & Treasure Sale,' Oct. 4-5, school gym. 872-1330, 872-5751, or 879-2541
• St. Thomas More, Munster, 'Altar & Rosary Society Art & Craft Fair,' Nov. 1-2, school gym. 836-5079
All Saints, Hammond, 'Flea Market,' 9 a.m.-3 p.m., grounds west of school building. 616-5820, 880-7953, or 932-0204
• Bethany Retreat House, East Chicago, 'Daytime Retreats,' 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tues., Fri., Sat. 398-5047
• Whiting-Robertsdale Faith Community, '4-Week Bible Study: Final Chapters of Matthew's Gospel,' started Aug. 26, 6:30 p.m., lower level, Sacred Heart school building, Bring your Bible. 'St. Therese Novena,' Sept. 23-Oct. 1, 6:30 p.m. Freewill offering, social on final night. 'Annual Pet Blessing,' Oct. 4, noon, in front of St. John the Baptist garages. 'Rosary for Life & Benediction,' Oct. 5, 2 p.m., Immaculate Conception grotto. Bring a chair. 659-4138
• Nativity of Our Savior, Portage, 'Mary: 8-Week Bible Study,' Tues., Sept. 23-Nov. 11, noon-2 p.m., Sept. 23-Nov. 25, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Video-based series. Fees due by Sept. 5. 762-4858
• St. Joan of Arc, Merrillville, 'Monthly Bible Study Series: Walking with Jesus,' starts Sept. 21, following 11 a.m. Mass, parish hall. Repeated Sept. 22, 7 p.m. 769-1973
• St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Series: Women of Grace, the Abundant Life,' Fri., Sept. 26 thru Nov. 21, noon-2 p.m., Newman Room. 548-8846 or 464-4831
• Worldwide Marriage Encounter, 'Encounter Weekends,' Oct. 10-12, Burr Ridge, Ill. 630-577-0778 or wwmejoliet.org
Shrine of Christ's Passion, St. John, 'Pilgrimage for Blessed Mother's Birthday,' 2:30 p.m. walking Rosary along prayer trail, followed by 5 p.m. vigil Mass at St. John the Evangelist. relevantradio.com
Shrine of World Rosary of Peace, Knox, 'Blessed Mother's Birthday Party,' 2 p.m. Speaker, Fr. Ted Nordquist. Refreshments. Bring your own lawn chair.
Office of Religious Education, 'Annual Catechist Retreat,' 2-6:30 p.m., Our Lady of Consolation, Merrillville. Speaker, Loyola Press' Joe Paprocki. Fees. Register online at dcgary.org. 769-9292 x230
St. Paul, Valparaiso, 'Anointing of the Sick,' 2 p.m.
St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Light of Christ Charismatic Group,' 6 p.m., bldg. 4, in library. 921-1428 or 312-320-7145
• St. Mary, Griffith, 'Scripture Study Group for Men,' 7 p.m., rectory basement. Open to all; bring your Bible.
• St. Patrick, Chesterton, 'Exposition of Blessed Sacrament,' 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m. 'Prayer for Vocations,' every 2nd Thurs. 926-1282 x1
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Hammond, 'Mustard Seed Prayer Group,' 7 p.m., church gathering area. Open to all. 845-6419
• St. John the Evangelist, St. John, 'Charismatic Prayer Group,' 6:30 p.m., day chapel. 365-5217 or 934-1947
• St. Ann, Gary, 'Mass, Benediction, Bible Study,' starting with 8 a.m. Mass.
• Holy Name, Cedar Lake, 'Grief Support Group,' 1st/3rd Wed., 6:30-8 p.m., parish office.
• Holy Trinity (Croatian), East Chicago, 'Free Parent Support Group,' Mon/Thurs, 10 a.m.-noon. 886-1111
• Franciscan St. Margaret Health-Dyer, 'Alcoholics Anonymous,' Sun., 8 p.m., classroom F.
• Our Lady of Sorrows, South Haven, 'Compassionate Friends,' 1st Thurs., 7-9 p.m. For those who have lost children or grandchildren. 462-0921 'Rainbows, Spectrum.' For children experiencing trauma, loss, transition. 759-2400
• Wounded Healers Grief Support Groups, 'Fall Series,' Wed., 7-8:30 p.m., St. James the Less, Highland. 924-5577 or woundedhealers-nwi.com
• St. Michael the Archangel, Schererville, 'Bereavement Sessions,' 7 meetings starting Sept. 18, Thurs., 7-8:30 p.m., meeting room in St. Patrick Hall. 322-4505 x241
St. Agnes Adult Day Service Center, Valparaiso, 'Alzheimer's Support Group,' second Thurs., 3-4:30 p.m., St. Paul campus. 477-5433
Franciscan Adult Day Services, Crown Point, 'Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Group,' second Sun., 2:30-4 p.m. 661-5302
Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point, 'Breast Cancer Support Group,' second Wed., 6 p.m. 757-6010